The Sewing Place

Eden Cottage Yarns

hernibs

Eden Cottage Yarns
« on: November 28, 2020, 14:35:53 PM »
Wondering if any of you have used this British company's yarn. https://www.edencottageyarns.co.uk/collections/milburn-dk/products/milburn-dk-british-bluefaced-leicester-silk-in-fern-50g-ball

Over lockdown I have knitted two gilets - cheapo acrylic yarn - neither of them are yet washed but pilling like mad - then a sweater in 50% wool and 50% Acrylic and it is not washed yet and the sleeves are pilling too.

I have a great liking for expensive yarn...mainly because of the non pilling qualities......I have knitted some of my other things in Malabrigo or Fyberspates and they do not pill at as yet and they are a few years old and washed over and over as necessary.  Have also used Posh Yarn (Wales) as well but I yearn for a solid yarn for a couple of items and googled British hand dyed yarn and came across ECY as it's called.  There are some lovely solids as well  in at least 3 colours I like....
I am knitting a Malabrigo Rios (Diana colourway) gilet at the moment - the colours are an absolute delight - like Noro only better - searching for a lovely green to knit a plain sweater to go with it or contrast with this colourful item....would like to get yarn ordered so I can have something lovely to start when I finish this one - it is aran weight, knitting in a basket-type stich for texture........and I am just now off to knit some more of the front rib.
Had a booklet/catalogue from a firm called James Alexander today with rather expensive clothing and gifts therein.  Saw a moss stitch gilet with zip - torn out the page to keep for a future project.  The knitwear in this pamphlet was very expensive so it doesn't feel so bad to spend £70 on yarn and I don't count my time when it is for myself.

Ellabella

Re: Eden Cottage Yarns
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 15:10:38 PM »
@hernibs I can’t comment on the yarn company apart from the fact that I have book marked them for future reference.

I do think you are right to go for quality yarns. The amount of work that goes into an adult sized garment justifies using a yarn you enjoy and the garment will usually last a great deal longer.

I use basic acrylics for my grandchildren’s sweaters, they need to be easily washable and will soon be outgrown but for myself  I do love a more luxury yarn.  Something with silk in is always a favourite.

I’m not a particularly quick knitter so if I spend several weeks on an item I want to enjoy it for a long time.

Off to browse EDY now :D :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 17:05:20 PM »
@hernibs I haven't used ECY (yet) but in my internet meanderings on the subject of weaving I have seen their Milburn DK yarn spoken of very highly and recommended for scarf weaving so it must be soft.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 17:21:24 PM »
The problem with yarn is that soft = fine fibres.
The finer the fibre the weaker it is and so the more likely it is to pill.

Thus soft and non-pilling are mutually exclusive.   :'(  :headbang:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 11:40:41 AM »
I bought a couple of skeins of Titus DK which I see is out of stock. 75% merino wool, 25% silk. I knitted up a hood/snood thing in a lovely silver birch colour (pale greyish green). I just dug it out and see I haven't finished it. I need to do some grafting or some such technique - it was beyond me at the time so got left. Don't even know where the pattern is....  :|