The Sewing Place

Christmas tree "skirt"

sewingj

Christmas tree "skirt"
« on: November 29, 2020, 16:44:52 PM »
I have bought some red crushed velvet (eBay) to make a cover for the stand of our artificial tree. The idea is to cut a circle with a slit in it - possibly held together with Velcro. I thought I would finish the outer and inner edge with bias binding but I'm not sure how successful that would be. But I don't fancy hemming a circle of crushed velvet!
Any ideas? (I don't have an overlocker)

Efemera

Re: Christmas tree "skirt"
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 20:07:49 PM »
Add a trim to the edge...

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 20:49:35 PM »
I would line it :sew: right side to right side leaving a gap at one of the short edges and then turn right side out ..You could then over stitch the edge if you want.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:26:49 AM by Iminei »

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 09:18:07 AM »
Thanks very much.  I did`t originally intend having a double layer but I think that`s going to be the easiest so I`ve bought a bit more fabric.  It was only £4 metre so that`ll be cheaper than buying a nice trim

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
Just a thought.. @sewingj  ,it might be better lined with something thinner, like an old piece of sheeting or curtain lining. It shouldn’t be seen once the skirt is on the tree. :D

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »
If it's the type of crushed velvet which loves to roll at the edges (knitted fabric) you should definitely line it - either the same fabric at 90° to the top layer, or a firm woven one, or maybe a heavy fusible interlining would work?.

If you do line it you will need to topstitch around the outer edge and possibly a bit more top stitching or "quilting" to hold the two layers together.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.