The Sewing Place

Hello from Bedfordshire!

Starryfish

Hello from Bedfordshire!
« on: May 22, 2017, 17:50:31 PM »
I've been lurking here long enough, so I thought I should introduce myself! I'm retired and living in a village not far from the M1.  I found out about you from SG, and am glad to find a British (mostly) site.
I've been making my own clothes since my teens on and off, but really got started when I was involuntarily retired, and only had grey suits in my wardrobe and little money to replace them.

I also knit and have just started to learn bobbin lacemaking. I look forward to sharing my projects with you all. I'm currently working on a MOB outfit.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

BrendaP

Re: Hello from Bedfordshire!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 18:53:50 PM »
Welcome to TSP

Bedfordshire is (or maybe it's now was) a good base for learning bobbin lace!  Have you been able to find classes or are you teaching yourself?  For 30 odd years I taught BL in adult education classes and although I don't do much lacemaking now I'm still happy to answer questions if I can, so don't be afraid to ask :pin:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewsuzie

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 21:44:55 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum, Starryfish   :)

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Starryfish

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 22:00:44 PM »
Welcome to TSP

Bedfordshire is (or maybe it's now was) a good base for learning bobbin lace!  Have you been able to find classes or are you teaching yourself?  For 30 odd years I taught BL in adult education classes and although I don't do much lacemaking now I'm still happy to answer questions if I can, so don't be afraid to ask :pin:

I have been to classes run by Bedfordshire Federation of WIs, and am working through a book of exercises as well. Thanks for offering to answer questions!
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Lantana

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 22:41:15 PM »
Welcome to the Sewing Place StarryFish There is a lot of expertise in this forum as you will have noticed during your long lurk! Enjoy  :flower:

Lantana  :vintage:

Pinkstar

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 22:49:37 PM »
Hi Welcome to the forum Starryfish

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:55:56 AM »
Yay Starryfish, good to see you here  :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
Hello and welcome.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »
Welcome from me too!  Look forward to seeing some of your projects.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Tawny75

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 15:33:38 PM »
hi and welcome, I am the next county along from you in Bucks :)

violetpastille

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 16:10:46 PM »
Hello! Welcome!