The Sewing Place

Quilting books, blogs or YouTube channels for newbies

SingingSinger

Quilting books, blogs or YouTube channels for newbies
« on: November 29, 2020, 21:57:32 PM »
Do you have any recommendations for books, blogs, or vlogs for new quilters? I'm looking for some inspiration to get from the beginner stage to the next steps to learn and improve.  :thinking: Thank you!  :D
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Lowena

Re: Quilting books, blogs or YouTube channels for newbies
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 22:15:31 PM »
The Quilters Bible by Linda Clements is a brilliant book
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 08:21:55 AM »
My first foray into quilting was a Block of the Month (BOM) jelly roll quilt that was done by The Quilt Room on their blog.  I came across it when it had finished and was able to download all the blocks.  The Quilt Room (Pam and Nicky Lintott) do first class instructions and I had no difficulty cutting and piecing the blocks solo - I had not found TSP back then.  BOMs are a good way to try out different piecing techniques.

You may find something similar either on you tube, if you prefer videos or on a quilting website.  OR there are lots of lovely BOMs in TSP with detailed photo instructions, all produced by our own @Iminei
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 09:22:43 AM »
A lot of people think the Essential Sampler book by Lynne Edwards very good  but I cant get on with it.
I learned via Youtube and Craftsy ..... which have (or had) free Block of the Month classes which were excellent ...
the 2012 one with Amy Gibson was my starting point.

And of course we had a beginners QAYG BOM this year in the Darkside which ... even if you were a complete beginner would glean you a fabulous quilt round about now.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 10:49:16 AM »
Are you looking for just quilting inspiration? or patchwork ideas as well?

For all-round P&Q the Linda Clements book mentioned by Lowena is good, as are:
 The Complete Book of Patchwork, Qhilting and Appliqué by Linda Seward

The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide

Complete Quilting Course by Gail Lawther.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 10:51:10 AM »
If it is specifically quilting , especially free motion, look for Leah Day on YouTube.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bjay

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 12:08:10 PM »
I started my quilting journey using this book

Start Quilting with Alex Anderson   C&T Publishing

Simple quilts projects - I found it really, really useful and still look into it sometimes
I also have Quilting Bible but feel it is more a  book when you know what you are doing!
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

maliw

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 13:05:25 PM »
Missouri Star quilt  co on YouTube, Jenny goes step by step. Midnight quilt show and Leah Day are 2 others, I have to be in the mood for Midnight Quilt Show.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

SingingSinger

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 13:47:24 PM »
Missouri Star quilt  co on YouTube, Jenny goes step by step. Midnight quilt show and Leah Day are 2 others, I have to be in the mood for Midnight Quilt Show.
I've watched quite a few Missouri Star and some Midnight Quilt videos on YouTube. They are quite watchable and I've enjoyed them but they do seem to focus on the piecing and quilt tops. I'm left thinking '...and now what?'!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

SingingSinger

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 13:48:51 PM »
Thanks everyone there's some good suggestions to explore and a book or two to put on my Christmas list

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 13:51:38 PM »
I agree with what's been said so far. I follow:

Missouri Star Quilt Company

Leah Day Videos

Margaret Leuwen Quilting

Quilting with Nancy

Donna Jordan of Jordan Fabrics

Hope some of these will help. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 15:09:27 PM »
Ah so it seems youre more interested in the quilting ... thats difficult A) to describe and B) to film ... a bit like watching paint dry ...

heres something you might be interested in ... it was the last hurrah of September's 2017  BOM

I agree Leah Day is very good ... She FMQed the Craftsy Free 2012 Bom in The Craftsy BOM 2013
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Elnnina

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 16:51:51 PM »
I know I am not a quilter but I have been in The Quilt Room when it was in West Street Dorking and I bought something!

We had been to Gatwick to pick up my sister from Canada and she is a quilter, so we decided to make a detour home and go and visit Dorking as this is where we lived as children.  On this particular visit my sister had a huge cabin bag that had multiple zips on that open up to make the bag bigger, well she had in this bag all her handiwork that she was giving her family as gifts, and in amongst them were four Quillows that she had made and three silk ribbon decorated baskets.  No way was she leaving these in a parked car, so my husband was given the job of lugging this bag around Dorking.  We did enjoy our exploration of all our old haunts, and of course then by accident found the Quilt Room, and of course she was thrilled to find lots of fabrics that then  found their way home to Canada.

Now when I was a child West Street in Dorking was rather old and antiquated, and was in need of some tender loving care, and even on our visit it was not much better despite the huge gap in years.  I believe now they have rejuvenated West Street and the last time I was there there were intriguing antique shops  and some other interesting shops.  Of course in parts Dorking had not changed that much despite the years, and it is nice to know that The Quilt Room was such a thriving shop.

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 17:00:22 PM »
I once took Mr Acorn into The Quilt Room in Dorking and asked them to tell him what happened to husbands who cut paper with their wife's fabric scissors.

He hasn't touched them since.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

charley

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 21:26:25 PM »
I enjoy watching Jean Truelove on YouTube. She makes all sorts of quilts and other things, and does tutorials for all sorts of quilts/blocks. I came across her channel by accident, but she is great fun to watch. She does talk a lot, but you can go pass the chat if you wish. She has given me confidence to do other things too.