The Sewing Place

McCalls and Butterick digital patterns reduced until 4/12/20

Tamnymore

McCalls and Butterick digital patterns reduced until 4/12/20
« on: December 03, 2020, 19:21:53 PM »
On the main US website for McCalls  etc pattern website (now called 'something delightful' for some inexplicable reason) digital patterns in the McCalls and Butterick brands are reduced to $4.99 until 4/12. Most of their more recent patterns are digital. I've just got one and it was very essy to buy (paypal) and download.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

Re: McCalls and Butterick digital patterns reduced until 4/12/20
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 19:31:19 PM »
Thank you!  It's about time they had them on sale - it's very frustrating when all the paper patterns are on sale and all the digital ones are still full price!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 20:14:05 PM »
Yes I bought a digital pattern much more expensively a couple of weeks back! I think they must be realising that there's potentially more profit in them.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 20:19:47 PM »
 :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

I was a bit confused at first. Since it is a US website I didn't understand why you were posting today about a sale that occurred this past April.  :laughing:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 20:33:05 PM »
The Brits understood me @Renegade Sewist !! Or at least I hope they did. But those patterns are so expensive to ship to the UK it's a good thing they are doing some digital patterns.. even if it means overheating the printer and spending hours with sticky tape.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 08:53:24 AM »
I was a bit confused at first. Since it is a US website I didn't understand why you were posting today about a sale that occurred this past April.
The way Americans express the date is confusing to us Brits.  When I am on a North American website I don't use the shortform.

mudcat

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 14:10:03 PM »
I use the ddMMM format ... so today is 4Dec.  I picked that up from an ex-boyfriend back in the 90s who was an engineer.  I believe the US military uses that format so as to avoid confusion across different countries.  I try to use F/C for temps and £€ conversions when posting about $ prices since Americans are a minority here.

To stay on topic I don't think I would ever pay for Big 4 PDF patterns since shipping is reasonable if you place a multi-pattern order when they're on sale in the states.  But it is a great feature for international customers. Although I'm surprised there isn't a UK site for them given they were bought out by a UK company if I remember correctly.

It does seem like they may have improved their PDF skills.  I bought some children's McCalls some years ago to make charity items and was appalled at how many pages they took for such small sizes.  Plus I had to go through a third party to even print them.

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 15:11:20 PM »
There is a UK site for the big 4 @mudcat (sew direct) and the patterns are very widely available in the UK on websites and bricks and mortar shops but they are expensive and some are very expensive! A full price designer Vogue pattern is £17 which works out at about $23. Even a Simplicity or McCalls pattern would be £10 to £10.50 for UK buyers. Half price sales are now rare here. On the US site sales are also much rarer than they used to be, postage has gone up a lot (it's really expensive - $25 or so) and slowed right down - so pdfs have started to become attractive!

mudcat

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 18:09:08 PM »
Yeah they seemed have held back their sales when they first bought but must have not been doing that well because now they are doing it more regularly.  Americans aren't going to pay those high prices for patterns when they've been trained for years to buy them at low low prices.

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 18:57:53 PM »
I'm really struggling to find that website @Tamnymore I'm only getting retailers and blogs coming up.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 19:08:20 PM »
Here it is @Marniesews . You will find the digital patterns in Butterick and McCalls.

Marniesews

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 22:13:44 PM »
Thank you Tamnymore. I'm afraid I was too slow off the mark but will bookmark it for more leisurely perusal.  :)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 22:42:24 PM »
Now they've had a digital pattern sale maybe another will come along before too long.