Willing but not always able :)

Puzzler

Re: Denim Rag Quilt
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 19:19:32 PM »
That was quick, Sandra. Looks great!  :thumbsup:

rubywishes

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2020, 22:18:01 PM »
@Sandra .......so you made the top on its own? Not sandwiching the layers as you go? I'd be interested to know how you go sewing and quilting the backing on...I didn't think this was possible because of the bulky ragged seams you have to then sew through to attach the backing and then quilt?  Well, you learn something every day  :thinking:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sandra

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2020, 22:52:14 PM »
@Sandra .......so you made the top on its own?

Yes. This is just a single layer.  :)
I looked at so much stuff on Pinterest the other night, and I don't know if I imagined it, but I'm sure I saw that it was an option to add a fleece back afterwards.  -< Or maybe it was a thought that popped into my own head.

But no...I'll go nowhere near the bulky seams.  :S I wouldn't be able stitch through them.

Sandra.
xxx

BrendaP

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2020, 23:38:33 PM »
It looks good as it is. 

Denim plus fleece will be really heavy - I have one regular quilt backed with fleece instead of wadding and a cotton backing and it's much heavier than the others.  The idea of red flannel stiched in as you go would be nice though.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2020, 15:14:59 PM »
That is beautiful @Sandra and something so different, I might be a bit tempted to do something like that if my washing machine was not so old that it might give up.

Sandra

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2020, 15:53:39 PM »
I've made a cushion cover.  :)
Wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I was a bit worried about how the zip would go in. The zip (a regular nylon one) is pretty well concealed amongst the fraying on the side, and it all seems to be holding together ok.  :thumbsup:

I've ditched the idea of a fleece backing on the throw. I need it to be easily washed and dried and I don't think fleece fabric can be tumbled...can it?
Anyway, it'd be really bulky too in the washing machine.

It's fine as it is. Maybe next time I'll use brushed cotton on the backs of the denim and try that version.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2020, 07:31:59 AM »
Heavenly!!!!  :loveit:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2021, 09:56:49 AM »
I decided to put a backing on it after all, so bought some brushed cotton.

All I did was attach it flat on the back - turning in the raw edges and just leaving the selvedge as it is and stitching all the way around the sides.
I then machine stitched around the edges of alternate blocks. I added some heart applique to just seven of the blocks for a bit of interest. Daughter says I've ruined it with the hearts. I don't know why she dislikes them so much.
The hearts will fray a little with washing.

It feels a little bit snugglier yet is still washable without being too heavyweight.  :thumbsup:

Sandra.
xxx

Acorn

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2021, 12:06:19 PM »
Well I loe the hearts - and the rest of it!  That backing is perfect.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.