The Sewing Place

Denim Rag Quilt

Sandra

Denim Rag Quilt
« on: December 05, 2020, 09:15:21 AM »
I have a box full of denim scraps, 'just in case', and I'm sick of seeing them.

It goes with the job that I keep useful sized fabric scraps because I never know when they might come in useful...and to be fair, they often do.
But enough is enough with these. I do have a clear-out from time to time.

Mooching around on Pinterest the other night, I came across the most beautiful quilt  :loveit: all done in denim scraps. ( A Russian maker I think.) It looked beautifully done and I loved the colours.
Clicked on it for a better look and followed other links to much, much (much!) simpler ones.  0_0

Anyway, I really liked the look of the simple squares, joined with the seams all frayed and fluffly on the quilt top.

I've cut 7 inch squares and I'll join them using a half-inch seam. The finished size will be 60 inch square.

So far I've got 77 squares. I have some more denim on the way. (I need 100 in total.)
It weighs a ton :S compared to quilting cottons.

Once it's all pieced, you're supposed to encourage fraying by clipping along all the seams at quarter inch intervals  ><  :\  :S before bunging it in the washing machine and tumble drying.
It will improve at each wash.
Daughter has expressed an interest to help with the seam clipping. Don't expect she'll last long though.

I think I'm going to back it with some fleece? I'll need to attach it somehow. I'll probably tie it.

Can't make a start until I have all of my squares cut because I need to make sure I mix all the different colours up properly.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

bec

Re: Denim Rag Quilt
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »
Oo what a fun sounding project. Can't wait to see it come together.  :D

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »
Fabulous!!!

Ive seen those before, in fact I tried to make a rag quilt from corduroy once but couldnt bear the finish on a sample piece so made it properly in the end ... its lovely and warm

But I have heard the clipping of the seams nearly kills people!!!  Good Luck hon x

Ive also seen a huge Storm at Sea quilt made from Denim, it was called Tsunami !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

twopence

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 11:27:07 AM »
I’ve only made one for a doll’s pram in cotton but it looked lovely though the seam clipping does take time.

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 21:02:30 PM »
 :meditation: What an interesting idea! I'll look forward to seeing it as it progresses. @Sandra how big do you plan to make it?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 22:28:35 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 22:07:49 PM »
@Sara-S  It should end up at 60 inch square.

I'm keen to make a start but can't without my other bits of denim which should arrive in the next few days.  :)

Sandra.
xxx

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 08:22:00 AM »
Well done@Sandra

I've had pairs of jeans donated to me in the past but mostly I struggle to know what to do with them, too many seams, pockets and gubbins and not enough denim  :rolleyes:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 09:19:24 AM »
I'm keen to make a start but can't without my other bits of denim which should arrive in the next few days.  :)

??? Where are they coming from ???

Surely all you need to do is hit the charity shops and buy the largest sized jeans they have???

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 10:24:22 AM »

??? Where are they coming from ???

I've ordered a pair off ebay for £5 inc. postage. They're a really large size. 40 waist I think. It says they're a long length too.

If I went into town I'd have to pay £2.90 return to get there. Daughter would probably come with me, so double that.
We've got a fabulous charity shop in town though and I think jeans might sell for £2 or £3 a pair.  :)

Weather was vile on Friday but better yesterday, but I had work I needed to get done yesterday after the menswear shop had been.
While in town with my daughter, she'd need to visit Greggs. She'd also need to visit Poundland. She'd then suddenly remember she'd run out of shampoo/conditioner/feminine hygiene products or whatever.

I took the easiest option.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 05:45:06 AM »
This is the one I did for my grandson using all our old denim jeans including his fathers. I even left a couple of the pockets attached for him to put his toy cars in when he was little!  Mine measured the same as yours is going to be Sandra...it is the heaviest quilt I have ever done as I used ordinary batting in the middle and denim on both sides. It weighs a ton and is very warm and cosy. It gets dragged around everywhere from floor to couch to bed to toy box...has been washed in an ordinary washing machine a gazillion times and is as good as new to this day!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Sandra

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 08:32:17 AM »
That's lovely @rubywishes   :) I'll be very happy if mine looks even a little bit like that one.
It must have been hard to sew together and haul around under the machine.  :S

Yes. I like the idea of it being tough and hard wearing.  :)

You've got a little bit of 'order' on yours with a lighter coloured diagonal going across. I like that.
I'll have to see what sort of layout I feel happiest with when I have all of my colours cut out. I don't think I want it to be completely random.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2020, 09:11:20 AM »
As I understand a rag quilt, you dont need to add wadding or backing as the reverse will have finished seams and the front would be the unfinished side if you can understand what I mean???

But I agree its gonna be really heavy.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 18:56:21 PM by Iminei »

Sandra

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 18:50:31 PM »
The jeans arrived in the post yesterday.  :)
They were a large size and very long. I think they were 34 inch inside leg.  :S
They were lovely and clean and in very good condition. I managed to cut 24 x 7 inch squares from them. I didn't expect to get as many as that...so that's all my pieces I needed with one spare.  :thumbsup:

I spent a little bit of time on the layout making sure I was happy with how I'd mixed the fabrics up, but I can't be bothered to worry too much about it.

Pinned them all together making sure I kept them in order....and then stitched them. It's a good job you won't be able to see just how off my seams are.  :o

I'm happy with the layout and like denim blue shades.  :)

This afternoon I've started to clip into the seams.  :scream: I think I've clipped 50 squares now and I'd love to keep going but I'm worried I'll end up with a painful wrist/thumb/fingers if I do any more today.
I've left it half folded up on the settee with the scissors resting on it, hoping that someone/anyone will want to do a bit for me while I'm not looking.

No takers yet.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 18:55:47 PM »
That is looking Fabulous @Sandra  ... remind me again who's it for ????

Sandra

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 19:06:10 PM »
I'm making it for me. Just because I can.  :)

Sandra.
xxx