The Sewing Place

Suggestions welcome for 2021 contests

SewRuthieSews

Suggestions welcome for 2021 contests
« on: December 05, 2020, 11:49:11 AM »
Hi All, as the Temporary Sewalong Moderator I'll be coming up with the list of contests for 2021, but I'd like some help please :-)

What have you enjoyed in the past or would you have liked to be part of?
What do you think would be fun?
How can we include the most board members in the contests (dark side, accessories etc)?

All ideas are welcome!

From last year we had

Animal print in Jungle January
Shirts in February
Sewing for others in March
Scrap busting in April
Florals in May
Activewear in June
Pink in July
Home decor in August
Checks and plaids in September
Upcycling in October
November should've been Awesome Accessories but we were without a moderator at that time. So will definitely include that next year.
December - we are currently sewing for the festive season.
We also had a wardrobing contest, year long UFO and stash busting and a Cardigan sew along.

BrendaP

Re: Suggestions welcome for 2021 contests
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 11:56:47 AM »
My suggestions:

Animal print in Jungle January
Geometric prints

Shirts in February
Trousers, pants, leggings, shorts

Sewing for others in March
Sewing for children, babies

Scrap busting in April
Headwear - hats, fascinators (weddings might be back on the agenda by then!)

Florals in May
foliage prints

Activewear in June

lingerie

Pink in July
any other colour - I think we've had blue

Home decor in August

bags and pouches

Checks and plaids in September
polka dots

Upcycling in October
Just one metre of fabric

November should've been Awesome Accessories but we were without a moderator at that time. So will definitely include that next year.

December - we are currently sewing for the festive season.
repeat that one
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 22:41:55 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ann

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 22:13:18 PM »
Include the Stash Busting thread which is year long. It's my favorite one. I do take part in others but not a lot as I'm so busy with doll clothes that I forget to look and see what is going on.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 08:12:35 AM »
Last year I suggested a mini SWAP (3 co ordinating garments) as very few people  manage to make it to the finish line with 6 garments or, like me, probably don't even start because they know they would never get 6 done.  The idea seemed to be well received but morphed into a 6 garment competition again.
Life's too short for ironing.

Starryfish

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 09:39:12 AM »
I agree with @BrendaP about a 3pac. Maybe a spring and autumn ? Also can I suggest the sewing for Christmas be done in November? If you are making presents or decorations they will be in use or wrapped well before the end of the month. How about accessories or home dec in December.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 10:07:29 AM »
It was Ploskin who mentioned the 3pac.  I agree about sewing for Christmas in November rather than December.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 11:44:55 AM »
Maybe sewing for Christmas could be a two-monther.  I tend to make presents in November (although they often slip over into December) and then when I have some spare sewing time in December I may make something for myself or my house.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ann

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 11:51:03 AM »
Also can I suggest the sewing for Christmas be done in November? If you are making presents or decorations they will be in use or wrapped well before the end of the month. How about accessories or home dec in December.

Or even in October if those gifts have to be shipped across the country. But November would probably work for most people. Another way to deal with Christmas is to have Christmas In July contest.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 13:10:03 PM »
How about a 'shop your closet' 3,4 or 6PAC where you make maybe 2 garments to go with what you have that may or may not include a garment that you have previously made? I think I mentioned it elsewhere and probably described it slightly better but brain not operating full this morning....... We could have a few a year perhaps?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 13:13:51 PM »
I’m quite happy to join in when I can with whatever is on offer. It’s good of @SewRuthieSews to organise stuff.

StitchinTime

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 13:21:52 PM »
Rather than colours or patterns, what about features? I was thinking along the lines of “something with buttons”, “something with pockets”, “something with a zip”, etc. These could cover a variety of areas such as garments (full or toy sized), bags, accessories, and home furnishings.

Kwaaked

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 18:13:33 PM »
What about adding mini contests?  Like every 6-8 weeks something small, easy to finish and takes less then a few hoursthat includes everyone like masks, reusable grocery bags , etc.

CraftyIrish

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 21:55:58 PM »
How about pre-cut fabric challenge. Fat quarters/charm pack/jelly roll ect.....
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 20:19:07 PM »
Last year I suggested a mini SWAP (3 co ordinating garments) as very few people  manage to make it to the finish line with 6 garments or, like me, probably don't even start because they know they would never get 6 done.  The idea seemed to be well received but morphed into a 6 garment competition again.

Hello, I'm a fairly new member but definitely enjoying the more relaxed pace of contests here (as opposed to that big US site we all know). I didn't join in the 6-PAC as I'd just made myself a capsule wardrobe this time round. But I agree not everyone can manage (high chance I won't either working through the pandemic). How about a really relaxed-rules 6-PAC? Maybe only one item needs to be sewn? Maybe rooting through the wardrobe you already have and mending 5 of the things is good? Maybe half can be simply embellishment? And anyone who does need a whole workwear, sportswear, lounge wear, maternity wardrobe can do a full 6 garments but it's not required?

A slower, more sustainable contest... Maybe with more entrants! Fun sewing is the aim for me, not speed or quantity. Probably I'm not alone. Just some thoughts anyway :)

Morzel

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 08:31:43 AM »
How about a jeans month? Jeans January... I think lots of sewers would like to tackle/perfect sewing jeans and it seems nice to do that in a group to help with fitting issues.

Or how about Outerwear October? Maybe that would make me finally tackle that raincoat that's been on the list for some time (years). Or the anorak I have the pattern and fabric for since four or five years ago...
Eva