The Sewing Place

Hello!

Lottie

Hello!
« on: December 05, 2020, 16:05:17 PM »
Hello there

I'm a newbie :)

I'm a keen but amateur Darksider, and have been persuaded to join this forum by Bjay and Flobear -  thank you ladies, you can stop nagging me now ;)

I live in southern Spain, on the south side of the Sierra Nevada mountains, on a small plot of land where we have lots of orange and olive trees. The local town is 3.5km away, but sadly has no fabric shops so getting hold of supplies can be a bit challenging.

Despite that, I've managed to make a few things this year - lock down was strict here so I had to occupy myself somehow, and that's when I really got back into it, although I had made a couple of quilts in the past.

I'm looking forward to being inspired and I know I've got lots to learn

Lottie
Sitting sewing in the sunshine

Nevis5

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 16:10:36 PM »
Hello @Lottie  and welcome!   :toast:  Lucky you, living in Spain, such a beautiful part of the world and with Added Sun.  I have no idea of the Dark Side but there will be lots of other clever people along in a minute, all of whom will be glad to share advice and help. xx

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 16:10:55 PM »
Not often I get to meet a newbie on a first post, pleased to meet you.  You will love it here, lack of shops to buy, that's no problem at all to us.  Unfortunately I'm not on the  Darkside but many are so you will be very happy and have plenty of good company.

Enjoy the chatter :drink:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 16:46:39 PM »
@Lottie  :dance: :dance: :dance:

Surely you don't claim that @Bjay and I have been nagging you  :faints:

We just recognise your Dark Side and think you'll find a nice little abyss niche here.

As for fabric shops - I didn't even have a single bookmark when I joined TSP, now I have a special folder with 25 in (so far)  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 16:49:25 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 16:47:06 PM »
Welcome to TSP @Lottie   there are lots of talented Darksiders here who will encourage and help you. I am a clothes maker but I have made a couple of bags and cushion covers with a small amount of patchwork on them. Enjoy your sewing.
Still learning

fajita

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 17:12:18 PM »
Welcome @Lottie  :flower: :drink:

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 17:21:08 PM »
!Hola! @Lottie How lovely to have sun. Do tell us more about life on your finca . I love Spain, but found many fabric shops there stuck in the 1940s. Having worked out what I needed to say, the very elderly owner, in her pinny, would huff, climb up a ricketty ladder to retrieve a dusty bolt of fabric then be very put out when it wasn't what I wanted & was also extortionately priced. Our local.one still had 1940s lighting & electrics, to the amusement of DH. There's no way I can pass for a native (fair, blue eyes) so prices were hiked for a tourist. (Except for a couple of shops where browsing was encouraged and the guys running them were helpful).
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 17:22:37 PM »
Welcome, @Lottie.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 17:25:42 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 18:24:35 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2020, 18:50:59 PM »
A warm welcome from me too. I dabble in both the Darkside and the Lightside, so I have a foot in both camps. :) Will look forward to seeing what you make.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2020, 18:51:46 PM »
Hello @Lottie - I think we may have met in Another Place!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bjay

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2020, 21:45:53 PM »
Lottieeeeee

About time
Welcome

:dance:

Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 22:27:42 PM »
Welcome @Lottie  :drink:
Willing but not always able :)

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 22:31:57 PM »
Hello Lottie welcome to TSP from aother lightside/darkside dibbler.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.