The Sewing Place

How to Hot Fix / add rhinestones

Curious Gem

How to Hot Fix / add rhinestones
« on: December 06, 2020, 21:22:18 PM »
Hi all. I haven't been on for ages but I just knew you guys were the best to ask for this. I can't find a Christmas jumper I like and I want a good bit of bling this year so I'm thinking of adding my own rhinestones to a ready made jumper from M&S (Cashmillon type). What's the best way to do this without spending a fortune? I'm thinking maybe ready made iron on appliques like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christmas-Tree-Snowflake-Crystal-Christmas-Festive-iron-Hotfix-Applique-/401013259115?var=&hash=item9c1f6a7860 and maybe scattered single rhinestones in between? Will those appliques work on 100% man-made fabrics with a domestic iron? What type of gem applicator should I look for, to add scattered stones? Glue or hot fix?

Thanks

Kwaaked

Re: How to Hot Fix / add rhinestones
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 23:52:50 PM »
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:52:40 PM by Kwaaked »

jintie

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 08:45:07 AM »
You could cut out patches from a matching non synthetic fabric, glue stuff on them, then sew the patches onto the garment.
Rottweiler with scissors

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 09:04:45 AM »
When I wanted to add gems to a quilt I used Gemtac ....

I went to festival armed with said gemtac and a pot of stones fully expecting that some of the gems had fallen off during transport and hanging but every single one was still on ... Admittedly the gems were glued onto 100% cotton but you could give it a go ?

Alternatively ask the dancewear makers @Catllar  ?????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

jintie

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 09:10:04 AM »
Cream silk organza could work. I have a piece if you want it.
Rottweiler with scissors

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 12:58:34 PM »
I don't like the glue-on appliques on knits or jersey so I usually sew them on - you could iron the applique onto a patch slightly larger than the applique then hand stitch the patch, like Kwaaked suggests ( it's what I'd do too) Look forward to seeing the finished article complete with bling - will it have lights too??

Extra advantage  - you can remove the patch after Christmas without damaging the sweater.

If you want extra zing then I'd suggest you buy some sew-on stones - knitwear really doesn't hold well onto glue.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 13:06:02 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !