The Sewing Place

Hi

Maughanorama

Hi
« on: December 07, 2020, 18:04:57 PM »
So im here..... never thought I would be looking at sewing as a hobby. Im 45 go to gym ride a motobike do all my own mechanics/electrical work
Anyway story goes I needed to shorten my daughters curtains and I thought well I could get a second hand machine and do it for the price of someone doing it for me ...... so I did. Whilst they probably arnt as neet as Id like they are the same length and have a rolled 4inch hem with hemmin stitch.   
As that went so well now I have an itch that needs a scratch so im doing sofa cushions next.  Im hoping to get a few tips from here .

Deafoldbat

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 18:59:44 PM »
never thought I would be looking at sewing as a hobby.

Come on in...the slippery slope to sewing awaits! It starts with curtains and cushions and before you know it  - shirts, haute couture, quilting ( :scream:), vintage sewing machines - ideal for mechanics and electricals, and more fun than you can shake a stick at!

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 19:12:06 PM »
Hello and welcome @Maughanorama ,you have made a good start. Are you interested in making clothes?  Whatever you decide you'll always get help and advice here. Enjoy your sewing.
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 19:17:18 PM »
A big welcome from me too!

Grab a brew and jump right in!  :cake: :drink:

A word of warning - TSP is populated by enablers - fabric, machines, accessories - well just plain stuff really!

Enjoy!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

fajita

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 19:29:28 PM »
Welcome @Maughanorama  :flower: :drink:

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 19:39:57 PM »
Welcome, you have heard of Hotel California haven’t you?

Maughanorama

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 20:18:38 PM »
Thabks all.. so one if the things I don't understand is fabric...I want to make some 95 inch long curtains as well. The don't seem to difficult however im unable to find the material I need to make thernal lined one at a reasonable proce.

I don't kniw how some ships sell them cheapest. As I can't find the material so cheap

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 20:28:32 PM »
To be honest if you just want cheap curtains and you can find the size you need you would probably be better off buying ready made - possibly buying longer than you need and altering them.

If you are able to spend more I've had good stuff from Terry's Fabrics online and they will send you free samples

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 23:10:07 PM »
Hello and welcome!

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 00:14:01 AM »
Hi @Maughanorama welcome to TSP.

I agree with @sewingj if all you want are bog standard cheap curtains go for ready made and shorten if necessary - but watch that the pattern repeats are the same on both curtains.

Curtain fabric is generally more expensive than garment fabrics; it needs to be tough to stand up to being exposed to direct sunlight all day.   One inexpensive source of upholstery/curtain fabric is Immanuels.  Their shop is in Burnley but they do mail order.  No website just through Facebook.  You find photos of their fabrics on their facebook page (Immanuel Fabrics) send them a message.  When they reply you make payment, PayPal or bank transfer, and they post out.  Usually very quickly - unless they are catching up after a live Facebook sale evening.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 08:09:57 AM »
Welcome @Maughanorama from an ex-biker.  I miss it everyday, but circumstances dictated that I stopped.

I only sew clothing, but there are plenty of people who can help on the soft furnishing front.

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 11:00:02 AM »
A warm welcome from me too. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Nevis5

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 16:19:30 PM »
Hello @Maughanorama  and welcome from me, too  :toast:

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 20:04:25 PM »
Hello @Maughanorama welcome to TSP  :drink: :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 20:26:20 PM »
Welcome from me too. I second what others have said about curtains; unless you have a small window and access to roll ends and remnants it's just not cost effective to make your own.having said that, I got fabric from the Mill shop in Northampton. I bought Bump interlining from Fabricland. With heading tape etc I think it was a couple of hundred and was tricky as widths had to be joined, involving a lot of crawling round on the floor. It wasn't an easy job as one window is 3m wide, the other 4m but 3m of that is bifold doors. I couldn't find ready made curtains to fit. I wish I could have!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.