The Sewing Place

Bags

CraftyIrish

Bags
« on: December 11, 2020, 22:50:18 PM »
I have two say I'm really enjoying making bags. This is one I finished off today.

All the bags I have made so far have been made from YouTube videos, I want to buy some patterns any suggestions on where I can buy  some would be great, I did a search on Google but didn't find much.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Lilian

Re: Bags
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 22:53:34 PM »
That is very nice @CraftyIrish  :) sorry I do not know of any pattern sites.  Have you tried looking on Pinterest?
Willing but not always able :)

CraftyIrish

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 23:10:41 PM »
That is very nice @CraftyIrish  :) sorry I do not know of any pattern sites.  Have you tried looking on Pinterest?

I got rid of Pinterest and Facebook a while ago because I was getting hacked a lot and virus on my computer.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 23:19:33 PM »
I like Spencer-Ogg and Samantha Hussey’s patterns.

Tomorrow’s sewing is the Compact Accordion Wallet by Diane Spencer-Ogg, I’ve printed my pattern, read the instructions and and picked out the fabrics and interfacing.

Hopefully tomorrow, I will have time to sew with no interruptions, fingers crossed.

I also want to make a simple tote bag for my GD, she loves a bag to carry and store her treasures.

BlueCat

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 23:58:42 PM »
@CraftyIrish as well as Spencer Ogg, look at Shamballa, Swoon, Maggy55, Blue Calla, Bagstock, ChrisW designs, RLR. Just a few of the many independent pattern designers. Some also have free patterns for download.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 09:20:52 AM »
I bought a couple of books on bag making from Amazon but I haven’t made any bags recently.

These (I call them my Covid bags), are cross body bags from a YouTube channel ‘Shabby Fabrics’. There’s also a few dedicated groups on Facebook that make very professional looking bags with proper clasps etc. ‘Sewing bags and Accessories’.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:22:34 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 09:48:34 AM »
I was looking at the bag first time round, but looked again and decided I could really do with your cupboards @CraftyIrish very nice.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

CraftyIrish

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 10:29:04 AM »
@Gernella we have a very small kitchen not much room for anything, there was a stove there but it didn't have a back burner so it was no use to us, so my husband built shelving and bought doors for it.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

CraftyIrish

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 10:49:42 AM »
@Ellabella @BlueCat thank you so much I have bookmark all them website and I will purchase a few books too.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
@Gernella didn't have a back burner so it was no use to us, so my husband built shelving and bought doors for it.

Don't suppose you could lend him out for a couple of weeks could you @CraftyIrish , I could make much use of a man who could build those cupboards ;)  DH's skills are mostly outside, gardening, machinery and tinkering.  Only thing is he doesn't know his limitations, I do.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

RJR_38

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
I have tried lots of different bag places and I mainly only use 2 people now:

Becky Alexander Frost (RJAF makes). She has a fb group and YouTube channel. I subscribe to her monthly group as well and we get lots of free bag pattrperns and tutorials as well as a little panel every couple of months. She will also provide 1-1 tuition if you get stuck - she is amazing and her patterns always work.

Spencer Ogg - patterns are clear, well explained and designed for domestic machines so there is never any struggling with bulk etc. She does do videos as well but I have found I need need them as her patterns are so well written.