The Sewing Place

Help with winifred aldrich instructions

Cate

Help with winifred aldrich instructions
« on: December 12, 2020, 16:05:02 PM »
Hi, I thought i would try drafting the basic knitwear block from winifred aldrich womenswear book page 158 but I’m stumped just below points 6-8 where it says to construct the line at a 17 degree angle from the line at zero.  I have a protractor but don’t know exactly where to place it, maths was beyond me at school.  Is there another way to calculate this without the protractor.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 16:18:24 PM by Cate »

Efemera

Re: Help with winifred aldrich instructions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 20:29:19 PM »
Do you have a picture... I’ve got WA metric pattern cutting but it must be different from yours. A picture would help.

Cate

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 21:19:07 PM »
These are the pages I’m referring to

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 21:49:58 PM »
@Cate my book is an older version too.

Anyway you have a straight line from 0 out to 7 and beyond.  The protractor needs to be placed on the line, upside down so the curvy bit is under the line.  You should be able to read off the 17 degree mark on the left side of the protractor.  Mark this with a pencil.  Draw a connecting line from 7.  Now measure the shoulder length along that line.  Hope this makes sense.  :)

Cate

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 22:32:07 PM »
Thank you for your reply, I’ll try tomorrow as about to go  to bed now.  I’ve never used a protractor before, this one is my daughter’s from school many years ago.  I’ll let you know how i get on.

Cate

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 15:14:09 PM »
Thank you ohsewsimple it worked a treat and so easy when you explained how to do it.  Reading on I’ve come to the bit where it says to draw a line to create the armscye shape from 12 to touch the squared across line. Mark this  point 14.  The thing is I don’t know how long the line should be or how long the line squared from 9 should be from the previous bit.  Can you help again please?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 23:15:55 PM »
Hopefully @Cate yes
You have your shoulder line drawn from 7 to 9. Using this line, lay a set square on it.  Now draw a line up and down from there at right angles to the shoulder.   The length isn’t important but needs to be long enough to go almost down to the level of the underarm point.  This is just a guide line. 

Now take a ruler and place it on 12.  Swing it so that it hits the line you’ve just drawn.  That is now your point 14.
Good luck.  :)