The Sewing Place

Working on a rag quilt. Help!

Klumley1

Working on a rag quilt. Help!
« on: December 13, 2020, 01:07:01 AM »
My first quilt project is a supposed “easy” rag quilt. I just started sewing my squares together and my thread keeps breaking.

Any ideas why?

Renegade Sewist

Re: Working on a rag quilt. Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 02:55:50 AM »
What fabric and how many layers are you working with? Did you start with a new needle appropriate for the fabric and thickness? Is your tension appropriate for the task? Have you removed the thread, made sure the path is clean and rethreaded the machine? Is your thread good?
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 09:23:50 AM »
If the thread is breaking its either ...

Cheap thread ... Please dont tell me youre using Moon or the stuff you can buy at the end of a Supermarket aisle (Korbond??)

Snagging on something along the thread path of the machine ... check for burrs.

Catching on the slit that holds the thread tidy on the spool when not in use (again usually with cheaper brands, they slit the plastic base rather than offer a detachable base that holds the end of the thread)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 10:13:14 AM »
In addition to what has already been said are you using old thread which has been exposed to sunlight?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 11:06:36 AM »
@Iminei , what is wrong with Moon?. I only buy expensive thread for the actual quilting, but for piecing I often use Moon and don’t have a problem with breaking. What is your ‘ go to’ thread for basic piecing?
Usually if thread breaks I find it is because I have not adjusted the tension for the project or the fabric is very thick and I’m trying to go too fast!  :rolleyes:

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »
@Sheilago I only ever use Aurifl thread. I use it for everything except quilting which I do by hand.
My machine hates Gutterman and breaks it all the time.
It likes Aurifl and King Tut but that can be hard to source
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 14:01:26 PM »
@Sheilago ...

I find Moon is very 'fluffy' and breaks ... but that might just be me ... I use Coats threads (the 1000 yard reels) in black, white, grey and cream for piecing and generally YLI variegated for quilting, again the large reels.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 14:09:05 PM »
Something I read said that Moon thread is made by Coates, maybe it is a cheaper range. However I use it all the time with little problem.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 14:23:34 PM »
Moon is definitely Coats. I worked in their Glasgow warehouse eons ago when I was a student , so had a bit of ( probably misplaced) loyalty to the company and thought Coats thread would be good. I haven’t found it fluffy, but maybe I’m just used to it. It is certainly much less expensive than many threads.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 23:57:23 PM »
Take a reel of Moon and a reel of Guetermann polyester and look at the two side by side under a magnifying glass.

I'm pretty sure you will see lots of tiny fibres sticking out from the Moon, but far fewer  sticking out from the Guetermann.  It's those tiny fibres which cause a lot of the lint which collects in the crevices of your sewing machine.  :'(  Moon is also a bit thicker.

@Lowena - Moon is poly, so you can't really compare it to Aurifil, compare that to other cottons - Guetermann or SUperior Threads.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 07:52:27 AM »
@Lowena Barnyarns for Aufifil and King Tut
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »
I nearly always use Moon threads, they are nice and cheap to buy four of them for the overlocker  0_0
Never had a problem with them.