The Sewing Place

What have you bought?

Francesca

What have you bought?
« on: May 23, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »
I thought this would be a fun rolling thread.

Show us your recent pretties!

Francesca

Re: What have you bought?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 11:14:43 AM »
The joy of money in my PayPal account... it well and truly burns a hole in my pocket!

Bought 3m of this chambray with little stars. Stars not usually what I would go for BUT I am considering this part of my "Cinerella" inspired Disneybounding outfit for September when I go to Disney World (eek, I'm still a mixture of excitement and nerves. Nerves mainly being about 9hrs on a plane...) Going to use it to make the new Cashmerette shirtwaister.

DementedFairyGodmother, enjoy my twee  :*

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
Ooh, Fran, I have fabric envy.  That would make a lovely frock for Lilya.  Being cheeky, can I ask where it came from?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »
Well priced too IMO especially for a little one's dress:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142371146192?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you want to wait until mine arrives I can give you a review of the feel of it.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »
Fran that would be great.  Just need to go and have a little look..... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 12:15:59 PM »
I've not bought anything recently but.... I'm getting withdrawal symptoms and can feel a trip to the fabric stalls and shop coming on.  If I can find anything I like I'll show you if I can work out how to upload pictures.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 12:21:20 PM »
I think I buy some fabric every week (don't tell), but sometimes they are just remnants.

I work on the principle that when we retire (not a chance), I will never have to go out buying fabric again!!!  ;)

I need to up the sewing speed though, or find more time to sew as the stash is growing rather than shrinking....

Jessie

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »
They call is SaBLE. Stash beyond life expectancy.

I have a spreadsheet which calculates how much I've got in metres, how much I've bought in 2017, and whether I am up or down.

I am currently up a fair few metres let me tell you that!!

However the satisfaction of crossing through and adjusting the "used" down to zero feels great. And I get to watch the differential drop too. One day, maybe it'll be at zero!

It also makes me more eager to cut out (my most hated task) just so I can have the joy of putting a line through it on the spready. And once things are cut out I tend to get on with them.

Emma2109

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 13:27:37 PM »
I bought this a couple of weeks ago....its a gorgeous, soft, very drapey jersey with peacock print feathers on it....I want a dress from it, not sure what style/pattern....

Xxxx

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 13:51:53 PM »
Nice fabric, Emma. What about that pattern that Demented Fairy used recently for her Libertyesque jersey dres?? It's on her blog.

Jessie, when you retire you won't have to buy any more fabric. But you find even more devious ways of acquiring some.

Fran, unfortunately SABLE is incurable. :devil:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 14:30:13 PM »
I couldn't have a spreadsheet Fran, it would terrify me to find out exactly how much fabric I have..... ;)

TM, probably a good job that there's no chance of me retiring in the forseeable then!  :)

I only go into the fabric shop to see the girls and have a sewing natter, but magically fabric finds its way home with me!  ;)
Conversations go:  'I knew you'd like that', 'Oooh, I like that too' and 'if I don't get it now, you may not have it next week'

My fabric shop ladies are great enablers!  :)

Got a couple of lace fabrics last week that I nearly forgot about, for the SewAlong.

Jessie

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 15:00:42 PM »
I bought this a couple of weeks ago....its a gorgeous, soft, very drapey jersey with peacock print feathers on it....I want a dress from it, not sure what style/pattern....

Xxxx

I have that in my eBay watch list!

Love Notions Olympia?
Bella Sunshine Amelia (which I just bought)?
Lovely McCalls summer dress?

Kad

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 15:02:31 PM »
I would post a picture, but the fabric that I bought yesterday is not exactly photogenic ! It was black sweatshirting 60" wide for a pair of jogging pants for DS. The pattern used was a Kwik Sew 3663 and apart from having to add 7" to the leg length ( he's 6'5"tall) went together like a dream.  :angel:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 15:05:02 PM »

Xxxx

Emma I bought the same fabric in a different colour way.

It sewed up beautifully and washes well.

I made a loose sleeveless tee shirt for my recent holiday and was really pleased with it. 

I may have to see if the shop has any left ;)

Manuela

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 15:21:50 PM »
I bought this

this

this

and this lace recently