Francesca

Re: What have you bought?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 15:22:16 PM »
Be still my beating heart.

Details please.

Manuela

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 15:34:18 PM »
The first one is a denim lace (Marcy Tilton) I lusted after ever since I missed out on it the first time around (I've since made my own, quilting 4 yards of perforated denim onto 4 yards of lace). It arrived yeasterday, and I made a little happy dance  :loveit: I am currently daydreaming about what to make from it.
The second one is a structured cotton mix (Marcy Tilton) for a sheath dress.
No 3 is a Nani Iro Double Gauze cotton for a loose fitting sumer dress.
The lace No 4 (Marcy Tilton again - I absolutely loved her recent offerings) for a sleeveless duster (most probably Vogue 1540)

Samantha

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 16:23:33 PM »
I bought this it's denim, quite lightweight, which I plan to make a dungaree dress with it (the patterns is shorts but I'm going to adapt that - couldn't bring myself to buy Tilly's pattern!!)

Puzzler

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 20:48:02 PM »
I bought some very inexpensive viscose for tops or summer dresses. The grey one was a bargain. I wanted 2 metres at £2 a metre but there wasn't quite enough. The fabric had some damage as it was the end of the roll. I hesitated so the shop worker threw it into a bag and said "£2 for the whole thing." Couldn't say no, could I. I can cut around the damaged bits and definitely get a top out of it.

The bright blue with dots is not what I would ordinarily go for but thought I'd take a punt. DD told me it reminded her of a hospital gown. Put me off!

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 21:52:53 PM »
The last piece of fabric I bought was plain boring black lining. :\
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 22:01:10 PM »
The first one is a denim lace (Marcy Tilton) I lusted after ever since I missed out on it the first time around (I've since made my own, quilting 4 yards of perforated denim onto 4 yards of lace). It arrived yeasterday, and I made a little happy dance  :loveit: I am currently daydreaming about what to make from it.
The second one is a structured cotton mix (Marcy Tilton) for a sheath dress.
No 3 is a Nani Iro Double Gauze cotton for a loose fitting sumer dress.
The lace No 4 (Marcy Tilton again - I absolutely loved her recent offerings) for a sleeveless duster (most probably Vogue 1540)

I made a tunic from a double gauze last year and whilst it breathes well I'm not that keen on the bulk - mind that could have been my pattern - I made a self-lined yoked top  so there were a lot of thicknesses involved.  I'm currently lusting over the black lace but can't really justify it at the moment - it is a bit nice though!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

dolcevita

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 22:27:37 PM »
Not a purchase, but I've chopped up an old silk dress that I haven't worn for years.  I plan to use it to line the jacket I'm making. The outside is royal blue wool crepe.

Francesca

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 22:34:26 PM »
I bought some very inexpensive viscose for tops or summer dresses. The grey one was a bargain. I wanted 2 metres at £2 a metre but there wasn't quite enough. The fabric had some damage as it was the end of the roll. I hesitated so the shop worker threw it into a bag and said "£2 for the whole thing." Couldn't say no, could I. I can cut around the damaged bits and definitely get a top out of it.

The bright blue with dots is not what I would ordinarily go for but thought I'd take a punt. DD told me it reminded her of a hospital gown. Put me off!

I love how cheap viscose can be, considering it's a natural fibre and good for summer. BUT I hate sewing with it! Such a fraying mess.

I'm just finishing up a top in cotton voile which is also a fraying mess and it's sapping the joy out from my (and I am covered in little bits of thread).

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 00:15:19 AM »
Viscose, like all rayons, isn't really a natural fibre, it's cellulose in the form of plant material stewed up with caustic soda and other chemicals to make it suitable for forcing through fine holes to make it into filaments which are spun together.  It usually gets the designation of man-made as distinct from the fibres produced from petrochemicals which are synthetic fibres. 

The natural fibres are: 
plant based - cotton and linen, also rami, jute, hemp, etc
animal based - wool from sheep, also mohair, angora, yak etc etc
and of course silk from silkworms (insects)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sandra

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »
My most recent purchases are this one....

With thanks  :* I bought it using my runner-up prize from the Stash Sewalong from the Fabric Godmother.

I told my daughter I'd ordered some fabric with  :fish: on it and she was  >< >< :fish:?  I promised her she'd be a bit jealous when she saw it...and she was... :loveit: :D

It's as gorgeous in real life as it looks from the picture. I'll be making some P.J bottoms from it and I'll make a jersey top from some plain jade green fabric.
They'll probably be known as my T.S.P P.J's... ><

I also bought this...

It's a lovely cotton fabric which I hoped to use in the 'white' sewalong to make a shirt.

Bought off Ebay, but it's NOT white...at all.... It's definitely cream.
The seller was wonderful and admitted they'd made a mistake in the listing, so offered me either a discount on my next order,  or to replace the order with the white.
I've gone for a discount.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »
Sandra, I love your fish fabric! Lovely colours too. Can I be cheeky and ask which Ebay seller you bought it from?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 11:49:20 AM »
Viscose, like all rayons, isn't really a natural fibre
Yeah I know what you mean. I feel like it's a grey area. It's much comfier to wear than polyester or nylon though.

Efemera

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 11:51:32 AM »
I've bought stash... but it's not fabric.. my paper stash is bigger than my fabric stash :|

Sandra

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 14:05:49 PM »
Sandra, I love your fish fabric! Lovely colours too. Can I be cheeky and ask which Ebay seller you bought it from?

Jessie

The fish fabric was from Fabric Godmother...It was the cream cotton which was bought from an Ebay seller.

There were two colourways of the fishy fabric but they were very similar.....Ah!...just been to check their shop and they seem to only have 'Blue' left. Mine is jade...(I think).
It's a Rose & Hubble fabric.

Sandra.
xxx

JillH

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 14:10:38 PM »
I bought fabric from a local Boyes a couple of months ago to make a relatively warm top.  I finished it yesterday just as it's warming up again :[    There's enough fabric left to make a waistcoat type thing to wear over it for extra warmth.  Probably save it for mid summer 'cos it's sure to be cold again then :devil:
Jill -  trying to grow old disgracefully.