The Sewing Place

What have you bought?

Surest1tch

Re: What have you bought?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2017, 22:47:11 PM »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2017, 12:34:45 PM »
Recent purchases include some dark navy heavy satin backed silk crepe.  Looks grey in the photo >:)
Viscose jersey in a paprika colour which I thought was a bit unusual colour wise for me.  This will be a simple top.
And the black and gold is a polyester, unusual for me but can out up with it for the evening.  It has some satin areas and some organza areas.  You can just see through it. And some very random gold lines.  It was made into the top for a cruise and part lined with a viscose lawn.  Had to weight the front neck edge to stop the lining poking up.  We had some old coins hanging around.  I found the old 10p piece too heavy but a Barbados 25 cent was just right.  :D

maliw

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2017, 17:41:49 PM »
I went to Abakhan a couple of days ago, I wanted some 'knicker' elastic - the soft stuff not the ordinary 1/4" stuff, some fabric for P&Q as a blender and a patchwork ruler. I bought ------------NOTHING!!!!. That is almost unheard of for me as I usually buy fabric that I definitely don't need.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

fajita

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2017, 17:45:56 PM »
I bought four fat quarters yesterday from a quilting shop at Tredeger National Trust property.
Total impulse buy, was just sheltering from the rain.

Manuela

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2017, 03:04:51 AM »
I succumbed to temptation again and bought those two fabrics, most probably for dresses...

Efemera

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »
Marcy again?...

Manuela

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2017, 16:07:38 PM »
Marcy again?...
Got me there  ;)
At the moment quite a number of her fabrics are right up my alley, and I have never been disappointed with the quality of what I've got.

Emma2109

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »
I think we need to start a support group.....every time someone has posted their beautiful fabric and put a link I have trotted off (an online trot) to 'said' website and bought something!!..I am now waiting a delivery of;
Liberty print tana lawn from e-bay
Lace from Aliexpress
Flamingo print fabric from Aliexpress
Oh....and a grid ruler thing from Creative Grids (in case I get tempted over to the dark side)...

Being off work recuperating is chipping away at my bank balance...will this madness ever stop...I only started sewing in January!!!

xxxxx

Francesca

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
I had a splurge:

4m viscose jersey for a maxi dress

3m viscose twill to make M7381 which I made as a summer dress last year. Didn't like it much, but wore it this weekend and decided it's really nice and easy to wear. Making it again but making the top a smaller size which I think will make me like it more.

Got the last 1m of this, to match with cream jersey to make Simplicity 8170

Gernella

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »
The joy of money in my PayPal account... it well and truly burns a hole in my pocket!

How do you manage that?  They collect it off me and they send it.  It never get its bum on the ground long enough to get cobwebs.

Anyway, two meters of cream ponte for a Vogue shirt dress (two half price patterns and free delivery) plus some reduced blue and white stretch cotton from Minerva, can't snip the fabric as it seems everybody bought it over the weekend and it is not on the site any more
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lantana

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2017, 10:39:11 AM »

Being off work recuperating is chipping away at my bank balance...will this madness ever stop...I only started sewing in January!!!

xxxxx

Ah but if you only started sewing in January you've a lot of stash building to do  ;). It's from the stash that the creative spirit flows and it's this forum in the various sew alongs and challenges that provides the focus. You can't have one without the other  :)

Enjoy your purchases, just make sure to pay the rent/mortgage first (wouldn't like to encourage reckless spending!)

Hope the recuperating is going well xx

:vintage:

b15erk

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »
What have I bought?  You may well ask.  I went into my local on Saturday, just for gold ribbon, but the girls were very busy, so I had a browse while I waited.

1/2 an hour later, I landed up at the till with a lovely linen viscose mix x2, (roll ends), a beautiful blue and white stripe for a top for DD, a couple of metres of gold ribbon, 5 metres of narrow white lace, and 6 mopearl buttons.

No idea what I'll make with them, but they were bargains and as such, could not be passed up. They will also fit in perfectly with the rest of the 'homeless' stash (must buy another box).

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »
Got me there  ;)
At the moment quite a number of her fabrics are right up my alley, and I have never been disappointed with the quality of what I've got.

I only wish shipping wasn't so expensive

Manuela

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 15:27:49 PM »
I only wish shipping wasn't so expensive

She usually chooses the cheapest shipping option (EmmaOneSock does the same), I often get some of the shipping costs refunded.

Acorn

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2017, 16:25:36 PM »
This just arrived from Sherwood Fabrics.

The green and cream is cotton twill and is destined to become a pair of (probably cropped) trousers - Style Arc's Talia I think.  The blue/black/grey one in the middle is somewhere between cotton drill and sateen, with stretch (Sherwood describes it as 'Velvet Feel Vintage Brocade Design'), and is for the stash.  The pink one is a viscose/lycra jersey and will probably make a t-shirt and a nightie.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.