The Sewing Place

What have you bought?

Samantha

Re: What have you bought?
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2017, 22:14:17 PM »
I went to Goldhawk Road for the first time on Tuesday. Wow!

I bought 2m of Liberty Silk for £20!! No plans for it yet.

Husband chose this cotton flower print 3m for £9 (thought it would keep him happy traipsing after me if I offered to make him something  ;) )

I also bought two fabrics to make into a dress for a dinner dance we're going to in September (I was going to use the taffeta in my stash but... you know!!) I'm going to make a bodice from the very dark navy matt fabric - no idea what it is but it's very soft to touch with an almost rubber like backing? (Thin though) and the skirt from this silver sequinned fabric, doesn't really show in the photos but it's not really shiny sequins but a matt sequin. Just need a pattern now!

Manuela

« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2017, 14:44:55 PM »
I'm currently very much into playing with stripes, and couldn't resist these navy/white 2" stripes in crepe de chine.

Emma2109

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2017, 09:47:08 AM »
It's arrived.....I ordered some gorgeous flamingo print fabric two weeks ago and its arrived. My best friend loves flamingos so I thought I would make her something for her birthday....now I have to decide what to make her x

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2017, 21:43:13 PM »
I went to Goldhawk Road for the first time on Tuesday. Wow!

I bought 2m of Liberty Silk for £20!! No plans for it yet.

Never managed to get there yet. Love the sequin fabric.  And I have the Liberty silk in a teal colour.  It,s really nice. 

justpottering

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »
I have just received delivery of some fairly cheap fabric which is just what I wanted - it's crinkle viscose, and makes wonderful beach trousers and skirts
If like me you have to cover up in the summer because of a skin sensitivity to the sun (I use baby sunblock and still burn) you want things that are light, flowing and easy to launder when on holiday, so I make wide leg, soft waist trousers which are perfect for holidays and a few skirts with a modesty panel lining for evening wear - a few cool tops and bobs your uncle.
Bought it from The Fabric Room https://www.thefabricroom.co.uk/viscose/viscose-crinkle.html  in lots of lovely different colours, cheap too, although there is a minimum order of 3 meters but that is ok for wide leg trousers and full skirts anyway.
Sorry can't post pics at the moment until I delete some from my dropbox
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Samantha

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
Never managed to get there yet. Love the sequin fabric.  And I have the Liberty silk in a teal colour.  It,s really nice.

We were meant to be going to a concert that day for my birthday but it was postponed a couple of days before so it was a bit of a last minute decision - a good one though!!

Have you made anything with yours yet? I'm not sure what to do with it.

Ellabella

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2017, 10:48:12 AM »
I had a lovely trip to Fabworks in Dewsbury the other day, my first visit but definitely not my last.

Lots of lovely knits at very reasonable prices, a couple of shirtings for DH  at only £4 a metre and two lots of linen blends for summer trousers for me.

The most impressive thing was the was the very nice lady who served me was able to pack ten different lengths of fabric into one carrier, makes it so much easier to get past security :ninja:

Catllar

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2017, 15:11:34 PM »
SO I bought this - stretch cotton sateen and I love the print - but have no real idea what to make with it to really show it off. Any ideas? There are in fact 2 print panels.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2017, 19:50:14 PM »
Have you made anything with yours yet? I'm not sure what to do with it.

I made a simple shell top as I didn't buy too much.  It,s been sat around waiting for some suitable buttons to out on the pleated sleeves.  It would make a lovely dress.

Manuela

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2017, 15:56:00 PM »
SO I bought this - stretch cotton sateen and I love the print - but have no real idea what to make with it to really show it off. Any ideas? There are in fact 2 print panels.
Oooohhhhhh, that is soooooooo beautiful  :loveit:
Are the panels long enough for a very simple maxi dress?

wrenkins

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2017, 18:54:05 PM »
I've just emptied Craftsy.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Catllar

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2017, 22:07:48 PM »
Oooohhhhhh, that is soooooooo beautiful  :loveit:
Are the panels long enough for a very simple maxi dress?

Derrrr hadn't thought of that - the heat is addling my brain - I'll have a look tomorrow.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
I think my period of financially-induced virtue has crashed to an end.  We had  a teensy influx of cash last week, and this bad Fairy, chained to the PC by the demands of exam marking, sneaked onto eBay, AND Fabric Godmother sent me a naughty tempting email...  Well, it's nearly my birthday.  :S

So I got some plain, but luscious fabrics, as I noticed that my wardrobe is lacking in simple garments that match to others easily.  Lots of beautiful patterns, but I'm wary of matching two patterns together, so hey-ho, need some staples.

First parcels just arrived:

I got a lush, drapey viscose jersey in black and white for simple tops [can't go wrong there]
Red cotton sateen [I fancy a shirt dress in this]
Plain white cotton lawn, to line...well, there's a saga attached [of course, it's me]

Fabric godmother tempted me in with some delicious embroidered white cotton lawn.  I tried to order a couple of metres [it's NOT cheap] and couldn't remember my password, so got caught in that bloody loop of trying every single variation on my usual password cluster that I could come up with.  Nowt.  So I tried to open a new account, they wouldn't let me. 
Eventually, reboot, mutter, sacrifice to the sewing gods, and I got in, and stuck 2m in my cart.  But couldn't.  And also couldn't locate the usual clicky to get to the cart.  I randomly added a metre of something else to see if I could add that.  Yes I could, but couldn't at any stage of my checkout feint actually remove the unwanted yardage, or get my coveted lawn into the basket.
Of course, by now, I NEED THAT FABRIC.
After much cursing, an email to the company, and more cursing, I noticed that one of the screen's clickies looked, well, 'double'.  The shopping cart button was sort of underneath one of the others.  Weird. Careful mouse positioning got the ruddy thing open [precarious work I kept ending up elsewhere] and I tried to increase the paltry 1m of lawn in the basket to 2m.  Nope.  Twenty attempts later, I deleted the whole caboodle and sent another email.
Today, their reply was that they only have 1.6m left, and you can't order part metres in their system...did I want it?
Well duh. 
So THAT's now on its way.

Added to the heap is the white self-stripe yardage mentioned earlier.

Don't they all look fresh and crisp and summery?  And I still have no time to sew.  Bugger.

Trying to find an hour or so from marking this afternoon to knock up a parasol holster and steampunk mini-picnic bag.  Ta-ra!
C'est moi!

Surest1tch

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »
They are fabulous

DementedFairy

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2017, 13:02:30 PM »
 It's a company Surestitch
C'est moi!