The Sewing Place

Cover Stitch Etiquette

mudcat

Cover Stitch Etiquette
« on: December 18, 2020, 19:13:47 PM »
I've mentioned in some of my recent posts that I've only recently started using my cover stitch machine (in spite of buying it about a year ago) and I'd like to know more about how you use yours.

So far I've only done the hem on the body of the garment.  I have toyed with using it for necklines and sleeveless armholes though I think it would be difficult with only a 3/8" turn over.  In RTW I see it used on sleeves but I rarely make anything with sleeves though I'd do it on them.  I'm wondering if you use it on sleeveless or neck hems that are turned over.  I don't know if it would look odd.  Usually when I see it in RTW it's with a band so it will have one row on the body of the garment and one on the band.  Or the type with binding flipped to the front and and the two rows are on the band.  Personally I don't care for that because it always looks too thick to me.

What parts of the garment do you cover stitch?  Do you ever cover stitch wovens?  Sample pictures are welcome.  :thumbsup:

Efemera

Re: Cover Stitch Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 19:18:19 PM »
I always use a binder on my necklines especially on knit dresses, sometimes with a double fold and chai stitch, sometimes with a single fold and coverstitch, depends on the fabric. Always use it on hems and sleeve hems but I like at least 4cm turn up, sometimes 8cm on dress hems.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 19:20:30 PM by Efemera »

Kad

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 20:23:05 PM »
I've used mine for hems and necklines, but DD wanted a straight/pencil skirt in some leftover  dark grey Jersey  located in the depths of my fabric stash heap. When finished it looked plain and boring being made from 2 rectangles of fabric, so I  marked faux seam lines to imitate  a 6 panel skirt and sewed down these lines with black thread in the coverstitcher. Result. Skirt is more interesting and the 2 vertical 'seams' back and front have a slimming effect - not that she needs it  :D
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 20:51:00 PM »
I've had my coverstitcher for 18 months and have only used it for a few hems - and I think a neckline on a top for a toddler.  That was just turned under and worked well.

I actually had to check my accessories box to see that I do have a binder, and I would very much like to get to know how to use it.

So I'm with you on this exploration @mudcat !
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 21:22:24 PM »
I use mine for the usual hems, etc, and also for sewing patch pockets on to jersey fabrics.
I've used it upside down along seams on fleeces so it looks like flatlock seams on the outside

Now who's got a mental picture of me with the machine upside down  :laughing:

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 21:42:15 PM »
I use it for hems and neck bindings. I have a very narrow binder which gives me a lovely finish on the knit dresses and tops I make for my GD.

I use it for sewing on patch pockets on both knits and wovens.  I have made narrow straps and belt loops.

It’s uses are more limited than an ordinary machine or an overlocker but I find it does what it does very well and let’s me get a good finish quickly and easily.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 21:42:33 PM »
The usual hems and neck bands using two needles.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I used it between patches on a jacket - much like embroidery between patches in traditional crazy patchwork.  Worked from the back I used three needles and kept the middle one in the ditch.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I have also used it with one needle to work top stitching, from the back, for hems and to attach a side seam pocket.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 21:54:00 PM »
I use it for hems, neckbands, sleeve hems, topstitching and joining awkward shaped pieces. 
Like @Bodgeitandscarper i us it upside down too. But it does give you a headache.  ;)

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 22:06:07 PM »
Oh and I forgot, using one needle for a chain stitch.  You can chain tack when you are fitting and the stitching can be removed really quickly, as long as you remember which thread to pull. :thinking:

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 22:31:18 PM »
I use mine for all my sleeve hems - I cut them for a half to 5/8" turn up. I have done sleeveless but not many as we don't have your weather :). Also I coverstitched a turned over neckline successfully a couple of times too. The pattern didn't use a band so nor did I.

Morgan

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 00:25:15 AM »

I've played and used the coverstitch for all sorts of sewing and decorative projects.  Some examples -

Hems, necklines, bindings etc on knits and wovens.

Chain stitch for toiles and also as decorative stitching with decorative thread.

Three needle coverstitch with cotton thread to make a mesh style lace on water soluble stabiliser.  It's quite effective and fun with different decorative threads.

With the differential feed engaged in a single pass ruched up some georgette strips and stitched a ribbon down the centre to make an attractive ruffled trim.

Again with the differential feed, used to do the ruching to created some puffed fabric for a project.

Attaching elastic to sheets to turn them into fitted sheets.

Used the belt loop folder and two or three thread coverstitch to make fabric strips for various projects and bag straps.

maliw

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 09:27:31 AM »
Just been reading these posts, at the moment mine's gathering dust (not literally as it has a cover on) but I haven't used it for ages.
I use mine mostly for hems and necklines on stretch fabrics and I've found it better if I use some form of stabiliser.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 13:35:16 PM »
I use mine mostly on tops and the anything else that is jersey or similar. Being a low cost one it is a bit limited on what it can do although I'm not fussed about using with a seam binder, I think the Bernina I have does have a seam binder in the tools, but it got boxed away sometime ago when I lost the will.  I did buy some fancy threads but when I sold the first Janome, I let them go with it.  The urge to try them had gone.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

mudcat

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 23:31:20 PM »
Thank you all so much for all the responses.  I look forward to playing more with my machine in new ways.  I truly regret not buying it much sooner. I find it far more useful than my serger/overlocker.

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 09:28:01 AM »
If I had to choose between the cover stitch and overlocker I’d keep the overlocker every time. As nice as the coverstitch is for binding, hems and other stuff I couldn’t sew anything without the overlocker.