The Sewing Place

Cover Stitch Etiquette

BrendaP

Re: Cover Stitch Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2020, 09:50:22 AM »
If I had to choose between the cover stitch and overlocker I’d keep the overlocker every time. As nice as the coverstitch is for binding, hems and other stuff I couldn’t sew anything without the overlocker.

Definitely!

You can substitute a twin needle in a regular lockstitch machine and get a passable substitution for the coverstitcher's topstitching, but the overlocker and its knife for trimming can't be substituted.  Yes you can do overedge stitches, but the cutting/trimming has to to be manual.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mudcat

Re: Cover Stitch Etiquette
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 19:22:06 PM »
I have an older BabyLock Imagine and haven't used it since around 2008. When I first got it I used it quite a bit but got out of the habit when I returned to sewing after a three year hiatus. I think the seam/overlock on my Viking #1 does a quality job on the seams even though it's slow going.  I don't find it necessary to trim very often because I mostly use Style Arc with their 1/4" or 3/8" seam allowances.

That being said I am planning to get the Imagine up and running one of these days because I'll be doing some production sewing of workout clothes and it sure is faster!  I did try to use it last year one time and the stitch quality was off so it may need service and/or some tweaking.