The Sewing Place

Mask pouches

Vezelay

Mask pouches
« on: December 19, 2020, 15:57:05 PM »
Decided to make some mask pouches (and a couple of masks) for us and friends this Christmas? DH product tested a few styles and sizes and liked the smaller zip type best as it's easiest to secure and shove in the pocket. The gold fabric is a single layer, the rest are lined with the outer one interfaced, and the yellow pouch has a Velcro closure.

The pouch of choice takes two pieces of fabric 8 3/4" by 6" - plus 1 3/4" x 2 1/2" for the tab - so great for FQ (or any) remnants. The zips were a dirt cheap Amazon bulk buy ages ago. It takes me 30 minutes to make, including cutting...plus the time it takes me to choose what colours to use!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]      [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]       [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

K.H.

Re: Mask pouches
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »
Ooh! I like those! I've made quite a few masks this year, but no pouches, they tend to just get stuffed in to pockets and handbags or car door pockets. Might just have to make some like that. Thanks for the idea!
Still learning!
My machine list: Toyota SPA34 and Janome Finesse 234 overlocker.

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 14:47:17 PM »
Forgot to mention the obvious - they're washable. The way we use them is to store the clean mask in pocket or car, then we put the used mask back in the pouch when it's taken off outside the home, and throw both in the wash back home. It doesn't matter if they shrink a little but I quickly hand wash and iron dry the pieces of fabric first anyway to check the colours don't run. None have yet.

RJR_38

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 22:13:30 PM »
They look great. It would still take me at least half an hour to choose the fabric and zip combos though  0_0

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 17:02:16 PM »
A few more, also posted a couple off without taking a photo. The blue camouflage one is for a left-handler.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 18:49:41 PM »
@Vezelay they're lovely. My mask pouches were drawstring ones, your zip ones are much neater.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 20:17:14 PM »
@Lachica a drawstring pouch would work perfectly well too. I just wanted an excuse to use some of my excessive collection of random coloured zips, as well as those odd leftover bits of fabric too small for anything else but too big too throw away as they "might come in handy". I have a lot of those!

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 22:16:09 PM »
I like the ones with the snap-flap. @Vezelay can you tell me how to make those?  :sew:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 22:24:24 PM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 22:42:27 PM »
@Sara-S It's quick and easy. I used this method https://youtu.be/p79mcqNk4po and downsized it to fit just one mask. I cut two pieces for outer and lining 11 3/4" x 5 3/4" and shaped one end. The finished size is 5" x 4 1/4".

The only issue I had with these is that it wasn't easy to close the popper with a mask inside. I find my poppers quite stiff though - yours may be fine, do give it a try.

Sara-S

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 22:53:06 PM »
Thanks for the info & measurements @Vezelay   I have snaps & a snap press, plus loads of fat quarters to use!

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 21:01:56 PM »
I made a couple today, from 2 fat quarters. I added one touch the instructions didn’t mention. I sewed a blanket stitch along the sides that were folded over. It reined in the layers of fabric a bit.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

RJR_38

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 21:40:45 PM »
I'm loving the Kaffe Fassett fabric!

K.H.

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 18:08:25 PM »
Thank you @Vezelay for the idea, I have made my first pouch!

I made a couple of new masks yesterday as some of ours are really starting to look a bit worse for wear, so today I made a pouch. Took me just a bit longer than the 30 minutes you took though! A fair bit of head scratching involved in working out how to put in the zip. Got there though, thank you!

Still learning!
My machine list: Toyota SPA34 and Janome Finesse 234 overlocker.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 23:20:03 PM »
I must be doing something wrong - We're still using the masks we had in Bali back in March. Are we supposed to change them ?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BriarRose

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2021, 01:40:41 AM »
I saw the title of this thread and thought of masks with built in cheek pouches so people can haul around snacks in the manner of a chipmunk or kangaroo rat.  :thumbsup:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.