The Sewing Place

Mask pouches

Ohsewsimple

Re: Mask pouches
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2021, 11:32:56 AM »
Depends how often you need to wear them @Catllar i suppose. 
I’m just making another couple each.  But as we don't go anywhere we don’t wear them.  I keep thinking they might make them compulsory outside the house.  But no, that would involve issuing orders rather than relying on the 'common sense of the British public'.   :rolleyes:

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
I must be doing something wrong - We're still using the masks we had in Bali back in March. Are we supposed to change them ?

I've been wearing the ones I made back in March. I know we're not supposed to re-use disposable ones (but I know some people who are using the same disposable mask they bought months ago,  :x but I've not read anything about replacing simple fabric ones.  I just wash them in boiling water after each days' wear.  They still look fine, but I've not really had need to wear them much. 

Although now I'm wearing them to walk around the block I suppose they may get tatty more quickly.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2021, 13:30:07 PM »
I have about 4 interchangeable fabric ones but I certainly don't wash them each time they're worn. They are stuffed in my pocket and I leave one in the car for emergency operations should I ever be called upon  to intervene!

I haven't found a method of preventing classes from steaming over whilst wearing masks - anyone got a solution to that one?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 14:07:26 PM »
I wish!  The metal strips help a tiny bit, and having a mask that is quite large seems to improve things a bit, but if there is any other magic way of stopping glasses from steaming up I haven't found it.

As masks are used to protect other people, they are only really likely to have covid-19 germs on them if you are breathing them out - in which case you already have it.  It's a good reason not to handle someone else's mask, though - unless you live closely with them, of course, in which case you're likely to pick up any infection by other means anyway.

However, you are breathing out into your mask all the time, and it is getting damp, which germs like very much, so any bacteria or viruses that you are producing will be having a field day.  Therefore washing them with detergent at a temperature that will kill stuff (largely bacteria, but viruses too) is a good idea.  It will stop them from being smelly too  :x .  Hanging them somewhere to air for a couple of days before re-using them should also get rid of anything nasty, because once they are dry germs (including covid) will just die.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2021, 20:47:25 PM »
It's been confirmed that masks can protect the wearer from large droplet spread too, which means the outside could potentially harbour virus particles. After use mine goes in a pouch or plastic ziploc bag and might be worn again on the same outing eg dentist/petrol station. Once home it goes in the washing machine to wait for the next wash load - pouch too, or the ziploc sits there a few days.

I realise that's more cautious than most people but it's what's been advised by medical science from the start of this pandemic. I made us 5 each, two for each car and a spare. They don't get much use as we live in a rural area and get home deliveries, but it's good to have them. I made six for a practice nurse friend back in April and she asked for more - she hated the surgical masks they were supplied with and wanted something that wouldn't scare the children she was vaccinating. She gets through two a day and they definitely get washed after each use!

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2021, 21:07:02 PM »
Yes - if someone has coughed or sneezed on you you definitely need to wash it (and yourself) very thoroughly!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2021, 21:25:48 PM »
I made us around 6 each back in February, then some Christmas ones. With the family's probably  30 in total. They're now getting tatty. They get washed after each wearing although mine have irritated my face so now I wash them by hand in hand wash gel with very hot water instead of in the machine. I've just ordered a mask panel for £19. There are 20 lovely designs on it, zebra print, chamaeleon, snake, peacock, flamingo etc etc. Tomorrow's job  ><
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 22:36:09 PM »
My friend's daughter say it drives her mad seeing people removing masks, shoving them away and then putting them on again.  Once they’re on and worn you should assume the outside is contaminated.  The inside of your pocket or whatever is then contaminated.  If you touch it your hands are then contaminated.  You fiddle with it round your face.....don’t even want to think about that!   She advised putting it on and leaving it on.  Taking it off should only involve touching the elastic or ties.  If you need to take it off when out, take more than one and use a clean one each time you mask up.  She works for the NHS. 

Lilian

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 13:49:46 PM »
I haven't found a method of preventing classes from steaming over whilst wearing masks - anyone got a solution to that one?

This is the mask I find best for stopping my glasses from steaming up.  My glasses sit just over the nose bar and it is a good fit.

Willing but not always able :)

Lachica

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 14:20:57 PM »
Not pouch related, but since this is nearly a mask thread : these are the designs on the mask panel.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373235444266
Printed in pairs as they are intended to go together to make a reversible mask. Since my masks are lined with silk, and these ones will have filter pockets, I shall use each design as an outer. I can't attach photos, even putting them through Snapseed I'm getting a 'fatal error' message. Which seems a bit over the top
for PPE  ><
Mary

Lilian

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 14:50:46 PM »
Great patterns on those masks. Have you made any up yet and do they fit well? :)

Lachica

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 15:29:20 PM »
@Lilian here's a pic of DH's first one cut out. It will have to have a white bit showing under the chin. Will show you mine in about 10 mins an hour.oops photo to follow
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 15:30:45 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mary

Lachica

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 16:06:31 PM »
That was easy!   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   No nose wire, so I'll see how I get on with it before making any more.
Mary

Lilian

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 16:26:23 PM »
They look good with the patterns.  I does not look such a tight fit at the moment.  Is it loose under the chin and near the ears?  The one I pictured is a very good fit, in fact it moves in and out when I breathe but not so much that it sticks to me.

I put the nose bar on the top, it has a sticky side that adheres permanently when a hot iron is used to apply it.  :)