The Sewing Place

Child's Sweatshirt

Ploshkin

Child's Sweatshirt
« on: December 20, 2020, 12:23:38 PM »
I've made this as a Christmas present for my neighbours' 5 year old fosteree.  I got the fabric from an Etsy seller having failed to find anything I liked on any of my usual go to sites.  I'm pleased with the way it has come out, I just hope it fits.  I did borrow a T shirt as a size guide.  I was just about to cut out and had a sudden crisis of confidence and went for a size bigger.  I used a basic online raglan pattern but added the pockets and did a curved hem instead of a band.  I think the pockets took as long as all the rest put together.  I fussy cut so that the pattern was not interrupted.  The pockets are literally 'patch' pockets.  The outer and lining are seamed along the top but raw edges round the rest.  It was just going to be too thick on a small garment if I had seamed the outer and lining all round.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

Re: Child's Sweatshirt
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
@Ploshkin your pattern matching is impeccable.

It’s a lovely top and should be well received.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 12:39:01 PM »
That's really nice, love the pockets too.  Have you used a coverstitch on those?

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 12:48:53 PM »
It's lovely. The bunny fabric is great. Size bigger is sensible, she'll be able to enjoy it for longer if it's on the generous side.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 13:58:57 PM »
That's lovely.  Is that piping around the pockets?   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 14:04:43 PM »
No @Acorn It's the pocket lining cut a smidge bigger than the main fabric.  The top has a seam but is folded so that a small strip of lining shows.
When I was doing the second pocket I trimmed a minute amount off the outer fabric at one edge where it has stretched a bit when doing the seam.  My scissors caught the lining layer and took a chunk out of it!  I had unpick and start again  :S

@Bodgeitandscarper no coverstitch was used in the making of this garment and any resemblance is entirely coincidental.  I constructed on the overlocker, topstitched the pockets on with straight stitch and did 2 lines of straight stitch on the hem.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 14:06:45 PM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 14:12:38 PM »
What a kind person you are Ploshkin, that top is absolutely beautiful and I m sure that the little girl will enjoy wearing this especially made for her by you.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 14:46:55 PM »
Ah, the blue around the edge of the pocketsies is the blue fabric, doh!

Morzel

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 21:02:30 PM »
Lovely sweatshirt - I really like the fake piping around the pockets.
Eva

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 21:11:34 PM »
That's lovely @Ploshkin and very kind of you. I'm sure there will be a very happy little girl on Friday.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

jen

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 13:33:19 PM »
Very cute, that’ll be well appreciated.