The Sewing Place

Elizabeth Hartman patterns

elisep

Elizabeth Hartman patterns
« on: December 21, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »
Has anybody made the Dogs in Sweaters pattern?
I've got another quilt to make for a friend with a baby due end of Feb. I'm undecided on whether to go for a geometric style (she loved the recent one I made for my other friend and has told me so repeatedly  0_0)  or the above pattern - she also loves Daschunds!

Has anyone made this one before? How difficult is it for a beginner-intermediate quilter? Appears to be standard quilt piecing, not sure whether that is easier or harder than FPP? In the end I didn't love the FPP with the other quilt, I liked that it was foolproof to follow, made getting it together easy when I was low on brainpower (covid lockdown  :'( ) however it was virtually impossible to unpick things if I made a mistake.

Thoughts?
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Iminei

Re: Elizabeth Hartman patterns
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
Firstly  let me say how impressed I am with your ability to FPP.... its the work of the  :devil:

Personally I would make the dachsunds one .. not a copy of the one you made before ... It'll be especially for her and Im sure she will be thrilled ... and very lucky to have a friend willing to make it.

Have you got a pic of the previous one?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 10:08:32 AM »
I have the pattern for dogs in sweaters but have not made it yet
I have however made other EH patterns and they are fiddly but not difficult.
No way would I ever do fpp... The  :devil: invented it, surely.
I'm sure you will enjoy doing the dogs and it's quite straightforward to do
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 10:19:52 AM »
I thought all of EH's patterns were FPP ??? Are they not?

Apparently not ... I stand corrected.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »
This one states no paper piecing! 

For me FPP is anything but foolproof. It truly is the Devil's Spawn. Conventional piecing is in my opinion so much easier. So much less stressful too.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

elisep

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »
Sure am glad I hadn’t heard these opinions on FPP before I started the other one!!  ><
I thought each block went together really nicely... just pin, stitch, iron! I got quite the production line going and made pretty good time in the end. It was the joining the blocks together that did my head in... hard to match all those seams (and I am a perfectionist).

@Iminei  my FPP quilt is here (hope this works, I’m on mobile).
I wasn’t planning to use the same pattern as the other... rather find a similar style so they’re not the same.
I do love the dogs though, and at the end of the day, I suppose it is for a baby! Maybe I’ll try and find a nice pattern for the backing fabric... just in case she doesn’t like the front!
Stash Busting 2023

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 11:18:03 AM »
@Iminei do you really think I would have managed Fancy Forest and Awesome Ocean if they had been anything other than straightforward piecing  :D

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 12:00:24 PM »
@elisep I can't imagine anyone not liking those gorgeous dachshunds!   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 14:03:19 PM »
I'd just like to stick up for FPP. :) I find it easy to do, extremely satisfying, and very simple to get a good production line going. Not everyone thinks it's the work of the  :devil:  I think you have to be a certain personality type, and a little bit of a perfectionist (which I am  :o ) .

Not that I think the dogs aren't gorgeous - they are, and they'd be just right for a little person. :loveit:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

elisep

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 12:43:25 PM »
Thought I’d pop back in and show you the finished project!
I had a lot of trouble finishing this, I’ve been having a stressful time at work, which triggered my depression, which resulted in a complete lack of creative mojo  :'(
The only thing that got it done was the fact that I knew my friend would be really disappointed if she didn’t get a quilt from me! (Not that she knew it was coming, but she knows me pretty well   0_0)
And, both mum and dad absolutely loved it so I’m glad I went with the dogs in sweaters rather than a generic geometric one  :loveit:

Not sure if I made the photos too small to see accurately, but all the sweaters are some sort of pattern, polka dots, stripes, gingham. Bound in the polka dot fabric, and backed with a crazy sort of dotted grey.
Overall I’m happy with it! And hoping not to see another quilt for a long, long time  :ninja:
Stash Busting 2023

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 12:50:32 PM »
That's lovely.Really eye catching sweaters, better than the pattern. <3

elisep

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 13:33:16 PM »
Thanks @Lowena! I should have mentioned the reason I went for those patterns in the sweaters, was that it’s simply impossible to find plaid/tartan fabrics in Australia during summer!
But I really think I would have struggled to create a colour scheme I liked if I had, anyway.
Stash Busting 2023

Puzzler

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 16:22:15 PM »
Your quilt is adorable and will be much loved by the recipient, no doubt.

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 19:28:40 PM »
@elisep that quilt is wonderful, just right for a little one, congratulations.

RJR_38

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 21:35:45 PM »
I love this pattern and it looks great so well done!