The Sewing Place

More socks

sleepingwolf

More socks
« on: December 21, 2020, 12:48:46 PM »
Inspired by @b15erk I thought I would try knitting socks.  Until now I have only knitted rectangular things since I learned to knit at the start of the first lockdown so this was something of a challenge.  These are cuff down socks from a basic pattern in Kate Atherley's Custom Socks book.  My family call them my Fungus the Bogeyman socks but I think they're just jealous.

I was going to try toe up socks next but I can't get my head round german short rows.  Does anyone know a tutorial that shows how to do german short rows with English rather than continental style knitting?

Ellabella

Re: More socks
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 13:14:21 PM »
I’m sure they are jealous @sleepingwolf , those look lovely and cosy

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 13:43:17 PM »
Definitely jealous.  They're lovely!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 13:56:01 PM »
Can't help with the tutorial I'm afraid, but if you've only just learned to knit, those socks are a fantastic effort. :flower: :) Well done.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Celia

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 14:53:01 PM »
They look great, here is a link to one of my fav teachers https://youtu.be/52qy8OOb-s0 hope it helps.

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 16:07:07 PM »
Lovely socks, such pretty colours.
Still learning

Deafoldbat

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2020, 19:10:49 PM »
@sleepingwolf Have you tried the toe up instructions in the Custom Socks book? I have read them several times and glazed over, but you might be more determined than me...

sleepingwolf

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2020, 21:24:07 PM »
@Celia - thanks so much for the link to the short rows tutorial.  It was exactly what i needed. What a wonderful resource Very Pink is, both the videos and the blog are going to be very useful in the future.

@Deafoldbat - I was planning to use the toe-up instructions in Custom Socks as I find her patterns easier to follow than others I have looked at.  When I was doing some practice heels and toes I didn't get on very well with the standard wrap and turn short rows so I thought German short rows might be worth a try.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 18:48:25 PM »
@sleepingwolf  Wrap? What wrap? I slavishly followed the basic instructions in Custom Socks (I thought) and don't recall any mention of wrap...
I've tried some of the other patterns in the book - the rib ones come out quite well, but I don't recommend the cable ones unless you've got very good eyesight. I stick to the basic model now - variegated yarn does all the work. :D

sleepingwolf

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 21:32:52 PM »
@Deafoldbat It is good to get some feedback on some of the other patterns in the book. I have been thinking about trying the rib socks at some point.  I really love the cable socks but I have enough coordination problems juggling 4 dpns without adding a cable needle to the mix  0_0 

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 08:03:59 AM »
They're brilliant @sleepingwolf
If you find you can't get the hang of toe up socks just abandon the idea.  I thought it was the thing to aim for and I've tried a few times thinking it would be easier to get the foot to fit but it isn't.  I get a much better foot fit with cuff down so am sticking with what works best for me.  I recall that @BrendaP found the same.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2020, 10:43:02 AM »
Yes, @Ploshkin  @sleepingwolf
I have a drawer full of hand knitted socks and have cuff down, cuff up and all the  the different heels and toes but definitely for me cuff down with a flap and gusset heel and a pointy round toe (not sure of the "official" name) works best for me.

I do sometimes try on but with cuff down I find that holding the folded heel against the centre back of my heel works just as well.  I knit until the work is level with my little toe nail and then start the toe decreases.

I have developed my own sock pattern - which I can now do without referring to it!  The instructions are at
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/knitting/ScrapBusterSocks.pdf

Designed to use up scraps but it works just as well with a single ball of yarn, without all the ends to darn in.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 10:26:15 AM »
@BrendaP I like your sock pattern especially the toe shaping which looks rounder than the wedge  shape I was working.  Your advice on stripe and pattern matching is great too - I just started at the beginning of each ball and and kept going to the toe.

Sheilago

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 16:10:38 PM »
@BrendaP - thanks for the sock pattern. I’ve been knitting the same basic pattern for the last few years, but yours looks good. I like the stretchiness and the different toe, so I’ll give it a try. Knitting stops me dozing off in front of the tv in these never ending lockdown evenings! I love hand knitted socks- so comfy and cosy in the winter: you can’t beat them!  :D

charlotte

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 19:37:16 PM »
German short rows are my favourite short rows. I never really got my head around wrap and turn.

You've probably sorted all this out by now, but This tutorial from Tin Can Knits is the one I used when I first learnt.