The Sewing Place

More socks

Ploshkin

Re: More socks
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 20:48:41 PM »
That's a good tutorial, thanks.  I much prefer a written / photo tutirial to a video.   I've never properly got wrap and turn either.
Life's too short for ironing.

Stitches

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2021, 08:51:25 AM »
My 1st pair of socks

Silver Rose

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2021, 09:08:08 AM »
Very colourful @Stitches
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2021, 09:10:13 AM »
Looking good

sleepingwolf

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 11:31:50 AM »
They are great @Stitches.  I love the colours.  Knitting socks is oddly addictive isn't it?

Diane

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2021, 19:51:44 PM »
Some lovely socks here ladies  :D, I too have been knitting socks this week, finished a green pair at the weekend but they came out more like bed socks  :laughing: I used some James Brett 4ply sock wool. The second pair i've started using King Cole 4ply zigzag wool, this has a higher wool content and the sock is much tighter. The bit i really struggle with is picking up the stitches after shaping the heel, there never seems to be enough loops to pick up, the pattern i'm using states to pick up 21 but i can only ever get to about 17? any tips gratefully received.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2021, 19:54:50 PM »
They look great @Diane

LeilaMay

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2021, 20:18:08 PM »
Yes, first up they do look great  :)

When you're knitting the heel flap, are you doing the number of rows stated in the pattern, or have you had to make adjustments because of any sizing issues?
If it says pick up 21 stitches, then I'd assume you've done about 42 or 42 rows? And slipped the first stitch of ever row? That should give the obvious edge point to pick up. Then you can squeeze one or two in the 'gap' between the flap and the remaining stitches across the instep - that helps prevent a hole forming there too.

I find it's a bit of 'have a go' rather than being precise :)

Diane

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2021, 20:57:07 PM »
Yes, first up they do look great  :)

When you're knitting the heel flap, are you doing the number of rows stated in the pattern, or have you had to make adjustments because of any sizing issues?
If it says pick up 21 stitches, then I'd assume you've done about 42 or 42 rows? And slipped the first stitch of ever row? That should give the obvious edge point to pick up. Then you can squeeze one or two in the 'gap' between the flap and the remaining stitches across the instep - that helps prevent a hole forming there too.

I find it's a bit of 'have a go' rather than being precise :)

The pattern states to knit the heel flap to 8cm which is about 27 rows unless i'm reading it wrong, see attached
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

sleepingwolf

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2021, 21:02:57 PM »
Great socks @Diane The green ones are far too nice to be relegated to bed socks.  I love the way the stripes work out with the King Cole ZigZag.  I must try that yarn next.  Can't offer any advice about the heel stitch pick up except that I find I space them out too much at the start and need to cram into the final few slipped stitches and the start of the instep.

LeilaMay

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2021, 21:55:37 PM »
Okay :) If they fit fine with the number of stitches you picked up, then that's grand. On 27 rows you'd only easily see about half that number to pick up, so getting 17 in was a good number.
Don't worry , if they fit, they're good  :D

Diane

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2021, 07:29:15 AM »
Morning  :D
What length sock needles do you knit with? was looking at a set but they are 15cm rather than the 20cm that I’ve been knitting with, wondering if they would be too short.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:31:47 AM by Diane »

toileandtrouble

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2021, 08:24:47 AM »
Personally I prefer shorter. Less sliding of stitches, but you have to be more careful when you put the work down. My sets are 5 needles, so only 15 stitches each on 4 working needles. And then the heel.....I readjust to share out the extra.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Stitches

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 10:15:23 AM »
2nd pair of toe up socks DD wanted them to go in her boots
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Stitches

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2021, 09:21:08 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Lastest pair of socks made with King Cole drifter DK