The Sewing Place

New sewing room

snoozi soozi

Re: New sewing room
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 11:19:42 AM »
@Diane apologies, it's 5 x 3 metres, not good with measurements, it's a wonder I manage to sew anything  :|

It's plenty big enough for me, it contains a cutting table sized 2 x 1 metre, a daybed, a stereo system and gubbins housed in a cupboard, a smallish table for just my sewing machine and a big ironing board. Oh, and Gussie (dressform).

I've been canny with the space, there are high shelves, the big table has a shelf at the bottom full of fabric, books, magazines, patterns etc.

I'm unable to take pics otherwise I could show it you.

But, let's be honest, however big ones rooms are one always manages to fill them up, right?  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 11:40:07 AM »
How right you are @snoozi soozi.  I used to work in a narrow bedroom years ago and thought it was wonderful because I had my own space.  My sewing table was an old small gateleg table. 
I had a decent sized room when we moved in here and I had an old desk with drawers and my big cutting table and a chest of drawers.  But since moving into this room after DS moved out I now have a 12ft long work bench, 3 large sets of drawers, a cupboard full of books, boxes and files and still struggle for space!   :rolleyes:

Gernella

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »
That's how I started, in a bedroom with a desk, a sewing machine and the dining room table to cut out.  Each project had a new reel of thread, fabric and maybe a zip, no extra storage only leftover reels of thread.  First bit of proper storage was a box similar to the Singer one bought around 1992 via the Sew Today magazine, which was for the leftover thread.

I couldn't spread out, there was nothing to spread out :laughing:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 13:05:43 PM »
@Gernella it didn’t help when I started my C&G.  I was hooked on pattern cutting and had to buy all sorts of books for that as well as sewing.  And then going to work in a sewing shop just about sealed my fate.  So many fabrics and threads available to me right there at discount prices.   :scream:
So many machines I could play with whenever I liked.  In fact, actively encouraged to!   And when I became the one responsible for choosing the dress fabrics, well......
I do miss just being able to pick up a thread or buttons without having to go anywhere special for it. 

Celia

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 09:45:36 AM »
@Diane

Any news on your sewing space, I am interested as I am thinking of rehousing my sewing spot, I do have a tiny sewing room but find it really difficult, not sure of the measurements but I can touch the walls both sides  :(

Diane

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 19:10:17 PM »
@Diane

Any news on your sewing space, I am interested as I am thinking of rehousing my sewing spot, I do have a tiny sewing room but find it really difficult, not sure of the measurements but I can touch the walls both sides  :(
Hi
@Celia I wish i could say yes but after unexpectedly finishing work at 54 (and 3/4s) not my choice, i decided not to proceed with a new sewing space in the garden as the quote was nearing £22,000. I'm at home all day on my own now until DH gets in at 4:30, so i just pull out my horn sewing cabinet by the lounge patio door and i sew here with a lovely view, my lounge is fairly large so i have plenty of space. I converted one of my huge wardrobes into craft storage so everything is now organised nicely. I'd rather save the money for a rainy day and as DH pointed out, we will probably move house in the near future so i can make sure i get my extra sewing space when we do.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 19:13:27 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 08:52:58 AM »
@Diane yes I am thinking the same about using either the extension to my kitchen or part of my living room.  I am in the same boat I am a bit older than you but I was self employed at the beginning of the lockdown and work just gave up completely.  I am now on early retirement with no pension yet so I need to think a bit carefully about what I do.

A horn cabinet or something like it might be on my radar once I settle to how much and what sort on sewing I am go into do.  Filling the days sometimes seems hard and other times they just race away.

Diane

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 19:15:39 PM »
@Celia No point in wasting money if you have a space that you can use. I have 12 years before i get the government pension which has made me think twice about spending all that money on an outside sewing room, now i have the house to myself for most of the day, there seems no point really. I would absolutely love a dedicated sewing space but i must be sensible now i'm not working.

DH bought me a new horn cabinet for my birthday about 3 years ago and i love it, excellent quality and fairly compact but opens out to create quite a lovely sewing space. I have seen them for sale second hand so maybe something to keep an eye out for. I have plenty of crafts to keep me busy but i seem to have trouble focusing at the moment, going from working full time to nothing has had a weird effect but i'm hoping that i'll settle in to a routine soon.
I see you are in the next county to me  :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 19:25:34 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2021, 10:53:32 AM »
That looks like a nice place to sew @Diane yes I am not too far from Sussex years ago I used to go to Midhurst a lot

Diane

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2021, 14:08:57 PM »
That looks like a nice place to sew @Diane yes I am not too far from Sussex years ago I used to go to Midhurst a lot
@Celia It is a lovely place to sew, the sun comes right round by 2pm and i have the door i can tilt to let some air in