The Sewing Place

New sewing room

Diane

New sewing room
« on: December 26, 2020, 14:19:46 PM »
Good afternoon all and Merry Christmas

I'm hoping you can help as i'm looking to get a "sewing she shed" erected in the garden and wanted to know if anyone has one. I wanted to know if you do have one, what type do you have and if it gets damp at all as i will be wanting to store all my fabric etc
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 15:27:36 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Efemera

Re: New sewing room
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 17:45:26 PM »
I don’t have one but a friend has... hers is not insulated. I wouldn’t want to keep my stash and machines without it being well insulated and heating of some kind.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 18:05:38 PM »
My other half has been building a garden room. It isn't finished yet but he has been insulating it well as he goes along. We dry lined it this summer and so far it is dry inside - no condensation or damp. We will be fitting a flat panel electric heater inside but have tried it with a small freestanding heater and it warms up very quickly. I won't be using it as a sewing room but I think it would work for that very well.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Diane

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 18:17:08 PM »
My other half has been building a garden room. It isn't finished yet but he has been insulating it well as he goes along. We dry lined it this summer and so far it is dry inside - no condensation or damp. We will be fitting a flat panel electric heater inside but have tried it with a small freestanding heater and it warms up very quickly. I won't be using it as a sewing room but I think it would work for that very well.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

That's a lovey garden room  :loveit: love the colour as well. I want to fully move all my sewing to the new location so it definitely needs some heating and insulation for sure.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

mudcat

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 21:14:45 PM »
The garden room is nice. I guess this is so you can be outside but warm?  In Arizona we'd need AC instead.

Greybird

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 23:22:14 PM »
Yes @mudcat - although it's not finished we did use it, with the doors open, this year in September and October when it wasn't really warm enough to sit outside. It's prime function, however, has been to give him something to do. He hasn't got enough "puff" these days for a full day's work but loves to be able to go out and do 2 -3 hours pottering on it.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 08:13:50 AM »
My neighbour has a fabulous sewing shed which was originally a playroom for her grandchildren.  Insulation and heat are essential.  Condensation is the killer with any outside space.
One thing she has done which is an excellent use of space is use a long (4m probably) , narrow length of kitchen worktop along one complete side.  It is supported on three  3 drawer units and is heavy enough to sit on top of them without shifting.  Her machine, overlocker and coverstitch are all out permanently with 9 drawers that she can access without even getting off her wheeled chair.
Life's too short for ironing.

Diane

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 09:28:36 AM »
My neighbour has a fabulous sewing shed which was originally a playroom for her grandchildren.  Insulation and heat are essential.  Condensation is the killer with any outside space.
One thing she has done which is an excellent use of space is use a long (4m probably) , narrow length of kitchen worktop along one complete side.  It is supported on three  3 drawer units and is heavy enough to sit on top of them without shifting.  Her machine, overlocker and coverstitch are all out permanently with 9 drawers that she can access without even getting off her wheeled chair.

That's a good idea using kitchen worktop, i would like to have my sewing machine and overlocker out all of the time. I do currently have a horn gemini cabinet which enables me to convert it to a flatbed if needed and i was thinking of getting another cabinet for the overlocker but the worktop would probably be better and i could always sell the horn cabinet.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 10:00:16 AM »
I think @snoozi soozi has a garden sewing room??

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 11:02:31 AM »
In Cornwall I used the converted garage. It was dry lined and insulated.I had kitchen worktop down one side and it worked well
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »
I’ve also got kitchen worktop along one wall.  It’s fixed to a framework of wooden battens and supported by table legs.  It always has a sewing/embroidery machine, overlocker and Coverstitch machine out.  They aren’t very deep so if you need to work on something large that will need to go behind the machine that’s something to think about.  But works well for me.  I do dressmaking but not into quilting. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 13:12:04 PM »
You could also cut a length of worktop in half and place them side by side for a large cutting table.  It would need sturdy support, however.

Diane

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 13:57:52 PM »
In Cornwall I used the converted garage. It was dry lined and insulated.I had kitchen worktop down one side and it worked well

I almost got my hands on our garage, it's a detached brick built one 18x9, hubby said i could convert it, then changed his mind the following day :\ he did however suggest i could get a sewing room erected at the bottom of the garden. Just working out what size i would need etc

snoozi soozi

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 15:21:49 PM »
I think @snoozi soozi has a garden sewing room??

I do, it's a log cabin, 4 x 3 metres but just at the mo it's a wee bit chilly, I haven't done any sewing for about a month now  :|
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Diane

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 18:01:08 PM »

I do, it's a log cabin, 4 x 3 metres but just at the mo it's a wee bit chilly, I haven't done any sewing for about a month now  :|

Do you find you have plenty of room with the 4 x 3 metres?