The Sewing Place

New sewing room

snoozi soozi

Re: New sewing room
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2020, 11:19:42 AM »
@Diane apologies, it's 5 x 3 metres, not good with measurements, it's a wonder I manage to sew anything  :|

It's plenty big enough for me, it contains a cutting table sized 2 x 1 metre, a daybed, a stereo system and gubbins housed in a cupboard, a smallish table for just my sewing machine and a big ironing board. Oh, and Gussie (dressform).

I've been canny with the space, there are high shelves, the big table has a shelf at the bottom full of fabric, books, magazines, patterns etc.

I'm unable to take pics otherwise I could show it you.

But, let's be honest, however big ones rooms are one always manages to fill them up, right?  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2020, 11:40:07 AM »
How right you are @snoozi soozi.  I used to work in a narrow bedroom years ago and thought it was wonderful because I had my own space.  My sewing table was an old small gateleg table. 
I had a decent sized room when we moved in here and I had an old desk with drawers and my big cutting table and a chest of drawers.  But since moving into this room after DS moved out I now have a 12ft long work bench, 3 large sets of drawers, a cupboard full of books, boxes and files and still struggle for space!   :rolleyes:

Gernella

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »
That's how I started, in a bedroom with a desk, a sewing machine and the dining room table to cut out.  Each project had a new reel of thread, fabric and maybe a zip, no extra storage only leftover reels of thread.  First bit of proper storage was a box similar to the Singer one bought around 1992 via the Sew Today magazine, which was for the leftover thread.

I couldn't spread out, there was nothing to spread out :laughing:
Stash extension 2021 -
Left at the end of 2020 - 47.5 meters

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 13:05:43 PM »
@Gernella it didn’t help when I started my C&G.  I was hooked on pattern cutting and had to buy all sorts of books for that as well as sewing.  And then going to work in a sewing shop just about sealed my fate.  So many fabrics and threads available to me right there at discount prices.   :scream:
So many machines I could play with whenever I liked.  In fact, actively encouraged to!   And when I became the one responsible for choosing the dress fabrics, well......
I do miss just being able to pick up a thread or buttons without having to go anywhere special for it.