The Sewing Place

Contests and Sewalongs for 2021

SewRuthieSews

Contests and Sewalongs for 2021
« on: December 26, 2020, 14:46:56 PM »
Sewalongs and Contests 2021[/size]

Jan-Dec 2021 - Stash Busting Sewalong - use what you have got.
Jan-Dec 2021 - UFO Sewalong - finish off those unfinished projects.

January - Fit for Purpose – Absolutely anything to do with keeping fit / sport / staying active… clothes, bags, accessories.
February - Trousers - trousers, shorts, pants , jeans, leggings – including sharing fitting tips – these can be adult, child or doll/bear sized.
March & April - Spring 3 piece clothing collection
March -   Let’s get Zippy - item which has a zip in it - garments (full or toy sized), bags, accessories, and home furnishings all included.
April – Sewing for others – anything at all as long as it is for another person/organisation
May – Fun with Foliage - anything at all as long as the fabric includes foliage in the print
June – Upcycling – clothing, bags, home dec etc
July - Awesome Accessories – scarves, bags, belts, wallets/purses etc
August - Just one metre of fabric/ pre-cut fabric challenge. Fat quarters/charm pack/jelly roll etc
September & October - Autumn 3 piece clothing collection
September -First things First – Your very first attempt at making something you've never made before.
October - Scrapbusting – using bits left over from something else
November & December - Creating for the festive season (gifts,home dec etc)

Quite a few of those (though not all) would enable participation from different types of sewers, so looking forward to seeing both dark and light-siders contributing.
[/size]

-----------------------------------
Contest/sewalong details will be posted a few days before the 1st of the month.
Cutting out in advance is OK, but please leave the sewing until the 1st.

I am going to need some help on the rules for August as I don't know much about precuts.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 16:32:36 PM by SewRuthieSews »

mudcat

Re: Contests and Sewalongs for 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 21:06:14 PM »
Lots of flexibility with these.  :thumbsup:

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 21:32:50 PM »
Thanks for organising this @SewRuthieSews I'll try to enter a few. Plenty of scope :D
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 21:51:30 PM »
Lovely assortment with lots of potential for most of us. Great job @SewRuthieSews .

Will we be doing the usual you can cut out prior to the first of the month but no sewing? I'm thinking as a safe guard to take a photo or three before of any projects I try next year.

One early question regarding the August event. One meter of fabric/precut challenge. Is that in total one metre, such as four fat quarters?  Or also a single metre? And then charm packs and jelly rolls. Would I be using the entire jelly roll or charm pack? I bought some precut fabric for the first time and haven't made plans for it yet. I'm pretty sure there is more than a metre of fabric in the jelly rolls.

Thanks Doll.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

RJR_38

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 22:27:53 PM »
These look great! So many options and something for everyone I think - thank you for organising!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 22:35:35 PM »
@Renegade Sewist

Will we be doing the usual you can cut out prior to the first of the month but no sewing?
yes that would be fine. I'll add it to the first post

One early question regarding the August event. One meter of fabric/precut challenge. Is that in total one metre, such as four fat quarters?  Or also a single metre? And then charm packs and jelly rolls. Would I be using the entire jelly roll or charm pack? I bought some precut fabric for the first time and haven't made plans for it yet. I'm pretty sure there is more than a metre of fabric in the jelly rolls.
I don't really know anything about precuts, but included it as I thought the Darksiders would enjoy it. I have no precuts at all, so the 1m challenge was for me (and others like me) to still be able to join in.
So I am going to need some help sorting out the rules for that one :-) We have a few months to go.
I discovered I can make a pair of basic shorts for me from a 1m piece of fabric, but not a lot else so hoping for some ideas

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 22:40:19 PM »
Looks like a good selection.

Mind you I have no idea why I even looked at the list as I have never done one in any year (lots of good intentions, but that's the story of my life).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 23:46:41 PM »
Thanks @SewRuthieSews . Glad I asked.  ;) I'll look into how much fabric is actually in a precut set of charm squares and jelly rolls. I know they can vary. I bought these from bluprint at the end of year clearance a year ago. I thought at those prices I'd give them a whirl as I've never worked with any before.

I remember when I could get a pair of shorts from a yard of fabric. It's been a  while.  :S

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 23:49:01 PM »
Looks like a good selection.

Mind you I have no idea why I even looked at the list as I have never done one in any year (lots of good intentions, but that's the story of my life).

@Sewingsue yeah. I'm determined to sew this year and do at least one of these. We'll see...

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 12:00:11 PM »
@SewRuthieSews

It is a challenge to squeeze an adult garment from yard/metre of fabric, but can be done especially if other fabrics are allowed.  Maybe the rules should say maximum of 1 metre  of any one fabric for an item.

Pre-cuts for patchwork are a different thing altogther.  Fat quarters are just a convenient way of buying small quantities of fabric.  50cm x half the fabric width is often more useful than 25cm x fabric width. 

Precuts are ready cut squares - layer cake = 10" x 10", charm pack = 5" x 5", mini charms 2.5" x 2.5" and jelly roll = 2.5" x width of fabric.  To me the main challenge of using precuts would be getting a pleasing combination from someone else's choice of patterns/colours and and dealing with pieces cut off-grain. 

If other fabrics aren't allowed then the size of a quilt which can be made from a single pack is pre-determined and to me doesn't seem to fit into the same challenge as using 1m of fabric for a garment.  A variation could be what can you make from 1/2/3/4 fat quarters such as a soft toy, bag, pot holder, place mat etc.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 15:20:11 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 15:19:51 PM »
What a lovely selection and I have no excuse this year so I'll put it down here that I'll have a go for the January one providing flamenco practice wear would be acceptable?? Give me reason to get on with the red fabric I've been hoarding storing.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Starryfish

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2020, 15:58:44 PM »
Ooh lovely list! I can enter January, February and the 3 piece outfit from already planned things! I have the fabric for two of them in the stash.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Flobear

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 16:08:25 PM »
Thank you for compiling this list @SewRuthieSews. I will look forward to joining in with some of the ideas  :sew: 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 16:10:24 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 18:00:38 PM »
Thanks for organising this @SewRuthieSews - lots of great ideas here!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2020, 18:29:25 PM »
Thanks from me too for organising all this, @SewRuthieSews  0_0

Not sure yet if I shall enter any, but we'll see.