The Sewing Place

Another machine - Bernina, Janome or Brother?

Kitten

Another machine - Bernina, Janome or Brother?
« on: December 26, 2020, 17:58:24 PM »
Hi all
I've a hankering for another machine. 
There's nothing wrong with the one I have (Brother Innovis 2200) but am feeling that it might need a service soon.  I've had it over 8 years now, so probably due one.

I thought I might get myself a spare for
  • When current machine is in being serviced, would not want to be without one
  • So I can take it to classes - sometime in the future I know
I've been looking on various sites, and have always wanted to try a Bernina because of their reputaion, but also like the look of the Janome machines, and am happy with my Brother but that is a higher end machine so appreciate cheaper one may not be so good.

If I were to look at second hand Berninas, how old would be too old?
I've seen a couple on the well known auction site, a B330 for £600 (not sure of age but seemed to be almost full price), a B750 for £1,500 - that comes with the BSR (approx 5 years old), was looking at a B380 for £650 but think I missed that today (just over 2 years old).
Would I be better going for new and if so where to start?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 12:32:56 PM by Kitten »

Gernella

Re: Another machine - Bernina, Janome or Brother?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »
I was always a big fan of Janome but when I got my first Pfaff I was sold, the IDT can't be beaten and the machine is so easy to use.  My Pfaff Expression is now 11 years old and just in case it dies, I want one in the wings, so New Year I'm going for a smaller Passport 3, which I can cart downstairs with no weight problems. 

Other than my original Janome, I've never bought a machine, always on line, but  although I've been happy I wouldn't recommend not having a try in a shop.

Everybody has their favourites @Kitten and their own views on what they like.  I'm actually selling a Bernina and while it was lovely to use, when it came to sewing jersey (I think I did one top with it), the walking foot was so clunky to use compared with the Pfaff IDT, I took it off and went upstairs to the Pfaff.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kenora

Re: Another machine - Bernina, Janome or Brother?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 11:21:35 AM »
I also have a Bernina that I'm thinking of selling ( a 570 - 5.5mm ) but it would probably be too heavy for taking to classes.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath