The Sewing Place

More help required - casting on!

Kenora

More help required - casting on!
« on: December 27, 2020, 13:48:34 PM »
I've bought a lovely cable scarf pattern on Ravelry, and I've taken delivery of some gorgeously soft 4-ply yarn which I will use in conjunction with a really fine silk mohair  :loveit: but I've fallen at the first hurdle! :rolleyes:

The pattern says to use the German Twisted Cast On to obtain a really stretchy edge. I've never tried this before so I Googled it and looked at lots of videos. So far, so good. It is evidently similar to the Long Tail Cast On - Sling Shot Method, which I've also never tried before. It didn't look too difficult to get my head around, so I made a start. That's where my problems began. Unfortunately, the arthritis in my fingers and thumbs is too severe to allow me to move them in the manner needed for either of these cast ons. :S I've tried over and over again but I just can't manipulate my hands - they're simply not flexible enough. So that's that.

My question from the knitters on TSP is:- Is there an alternative cast on which produces a really stretchy edge to the knitting? I already do the long-tail thumb cast on, and had considered a) using a bigger size needle, and b) leaving a small gap in between each stitch when casting on. But if anyone knows of a better, stretchier cast on I'd be very grateful for any information. Thanks all. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ellabella

Re: More help required - casting on!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 13:59:58 PM »
I too was baffled by the German Twisted Cast On and managed a version of it by watching YouTube a lot, but thought it was a lot of faff for not much effect.

If you are having trouble getting a loose edge, I would use a needle a couple of sizes larger than the pattern calls for and cast on as loosely as possible.

If it is for a scarf that is flat surely it won’t matter too much as long as it is not over tight.

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 14:32:28 PM »
I would use a needle several sizes larger and not try to cast on too loosely or it will be uneven.
As @Ellabella said, a scarf doesn't normally need to be all that stretchy.

Ooh, just had a thought. I presume it's the short edge that you're casting on? If it's the long edge it might be a different matter.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 16:58:02 PM »
Thanks for your help, and - yes, it is the short edge to be cast on. :) I'll do what you both suggest and use bigger needles. I'll see how it goes but the fluffy mohair should cover a "multitude of sins" as my mum used to say. :laughing:

Celia

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 17:04:56 PM »
When you say you use the long tail thumb method do you mean you knit into the loop on your thumb, if so This is one I use a lot and have tested it against the German twisted method and also the Norwegian cast on and I can achieve much the same stretch.
Do let us see what you are making when you get on a bit further.

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 17:12:22 PM »
Yes, I do knit into the yarn on my thumb - was taught this method by my granny when I was little (many, many years ago  :) ). The pattern is

Killarney Scarf by Amy Lowden

I need to finish the lacy scarf you helped me with previously before I can start on this one, but I'm nearly there so it shouldn't be too long before I can show you what I've knitted so far.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 19:03:40 PM »
I thought there was only one way to cast on.Needle to needle then knit a row through the back.....I'm no knitter :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 19:26:20 PM »
I can't get my head round casting on with the thumb method - and what if you get to the end of that tail of yarn and you haven't allowed enough - do you have to take it all out and start again?

I use 2 needles, and as taught by my mother, once the first stitch is made, cast on the rest by putting the rh needle through behind the stitch you've just cast on. I think it's called a cable cast on. I use it for everything and it stretches without being loose.

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 20:20:19 PM »
The key to keeping the cast-on stretchy will be not pulling the yarn so tight that the stitches fit too closely together on the needle. A bigger needle will help, but also try to leave a bit more of space that you usually would between each cast-on stitch.
Then you should be fine
:)
leila

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2020, 20:46:07 PM »
@Deafoldbat  I use 3 times the finished measurement for casting on. Sometimes add a couple of inches if I feel nervous on a long run.  Try casting on 10 stitches, then pull it back and see how much yarn you needed. Then do the sums.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Kenora

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2020, 21:44:14 PM »
I wind the yarn around the needle, usually 10 times, then multiply by the appropriate number of stitches, plus add a bit for luck. It usually works out fine.  :)

Thank you for all your replies. I have, in the past, used all the cast-on methods you mention, so will do a few try-outs and see how it goes. The only ones I can't do, as already mentioned, are the ones that require me to "wiggle" my thumb and forefinger to manipulate the yarn. Not going to happen that way. :rolleyes:

Will report back asap.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 00:18:23 AM »
Stretchiness in a cast on comes from the space between the stitches rather than the size of the stitches themselves, so using bigger needles is only part of the solution, it needs paractice to just not pull tightly.

There are two ways of doing the long tail cast on; the American slingshot way and the thumb method.  From what I've picked up from Ravelry it seems that the slingshop method seems to suit people who knit continental (yarn in the same hand as the needle supplying the stitches) and thumb method for English style knitters (yarn in the same hand as the needle receiving new stitches).

Thumb method is my go-to cast on - just loop the tail around your thumb and knit into it - or purl into it.  If you are going to knit ribbing just make the stitches knit or purl to match the ribbing sequence to follow and you won't get a thickened edge at the bottom of your work.  It does take practice to do it loosely - only tension the tail enough to barely form the stitch.

For something like a scarf where ideally the two ends are match use the Elizabeth Zimmernann sewn cast off (bind off).  Plenty of info on Google and YouTube.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

PollyWally

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2020, 01:30:16 AM »
@Kenora Your post sent me googling German Twisted Cast On which led me to Chinese Waitress Cast On. I didn't realise there were so many complicated ways to cast on ! I might try one of these methods if I am ever inspired to knit again.

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »
Thanks @BrendaP - I usually try to put spaces between my cast on stitches. It's getting them even that's the art! :rolleyes: I understood from the YouTube videos that the German Twisted cast on has an extra twist in it which differentiates it from the thumb cast on. But I could be wrong. It's a bit of a minefield out there. :o

@PollyWally - I've not come across the Chinese Waitress cast on. Must Google it. :) Who gives them these names?

Deafoldbat

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2020, 18:45:59 PM »
Then do the sums.

@toileandtrouble But if you cast on with two needles, you just count the stitches and stop when you've enough.... :[