The Sewing Place

"Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021

SewRuthieSews

"Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021
« on: December 27, 2020, 17:24:14 PM »
Welcome to the "Fit for Purpose" contest.

Rules: Sew absolutely anything to do with keeping fit / sport / staying active / dance… clothes, bags, accessories.
Ideas include
- a yoga mat bag
- leggings
- cycling top
- dance practice clothes

Timeframe: Construction starts on 1st January and the item must be completed by 31st January.
All entries need to be uploaded with the template and at least one photo by 6th February.

Template: Please submit your entries in this thread using this template

Details to include:
Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering have more than once )
What is it and for whom (if applicable)
Fabric and Pattern/instructions used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)
A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos (for example the starting point, fabric pattern, a progress shot and maybe 2 views of the finished article)
PLEASE INSERT PICTURES WITHIN YOUR TEXT!

Please post your entries on the thread by 6th February
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 18:03:47 PM by SewRuthieSews »

SewRuthieSews

Re: "Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 17:25:16 PM »
This post will be updated to include questions and answers.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 17:27:58 PM »
I will endeavour to join in on all the contests if I can, but of course as the temporary sew along moderator can't be part of the voting. So please join in and share your ideas.

I will probably either make a top to go with my yoga trousers (for pilates) or a hoodie/sweatshirt to wear when I go walking.

SingingSinger

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 09:35:01 AM »
I'm not sure of the protocol. Is it OK to post plans and progress in this thread - or just completed entries?

I'm going to make a bag for my swimming kit. I've not had much success with bags before but have my eye on this pattern Super deluxe drawstring bag which should be fairly simple but nice and useful too.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Puzzler

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 09:47:12 AM »
The fabric used for the bag is so cute.

I’ve been looking at leggings/yoga pants patterns and fabric. Just looking at this stage. No promises. I want something slim fitting but slightly looser than leggings with negative ease.

Morzel

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 07:55:45 AM »
Great challenge, just in time for my upcoming goal! Promised myself to start jogging again in January.

I’ve been looking at leggings/yoga pants patterns and fabric. Just looking at this stage. No promises. I want something slim fitting but slightly looser than leggings with negative ease.

That is just what I am thinking about. I tried a leggings pattern once, but I don't think I want to wear them outside the house. Got a yoga pants pattern which I like and which is okay for running (I jogged in them before). But would like something in between. Maybe just slimming down my yoga pant? Not sure yet, but will enter with something. Got time on my hands in January.

Thank you for this challenge!
Eva

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 08:27:06 AM »
@SingingSinger ... Im sure Plans, Start pics and Progress pics are encouraged withing Sewalong threads .... Then, when you've finished, submit an entry using and adapting the Sewalong Template with your favourite pics inserted within the text.

but I would ask @ Miss   just to make sure !!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:29:13 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 09:19:52 AM »
@Morzel, I bought the Style Arc Becky yoga pants pattern and am having the pdf printed as there was a sale on both pattern and printing. I was also considering https://greenstylecreations.com/products/women-s-everyday-yoga-pants-in-sizes-xl-to-xxl
but didn’t think the fold down band would do me any favours, just add bulk to where I don’t need it. These are not for jogging. Walking is as fast as I go. It will be great if I can return to reformer Pilates when these things are allowed again.

Now to find a suitable fabric...

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
I'm not sure of the protocol. Is it OK to post plans and progress in this thread - or just completed entries?

@SingingSinger yes please post plans and progress on the thread as we go along. Then make sure you follow the template for the final format as I'll copy those across into the voting thread.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 10:03:09 AM »
I'm planning to make a flamenco practice skirt  - I bet that's surprised you all  - not that I need another one but I like variety and the fabric's been hanging about waiting for over a year.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Morzel

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 11:21:12 AM »
@Catllar  that sounds promising! Fabric/pattern choice?

@Puzzler the Style Arc Becky looks similar to my pattern for yoga pants, I used the Silhouette Yoga pant and tweaked it quite a while ago to use for comfy pants around the house. Looking up your greenstyle pattern I found the 'Brassie Joggers'  attractive. I guess I will try to tweak my yoga pants into the shape of those joggers. A bit narrower below the knee and wide cuffs at the ankle.
Eva

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 17:12:44 PM »
@Morzel no pattern - just making it up as I go really. Basically a simple panelled / gored skirt with width from below the bum and a few added godets 2 front, 2 back.  Practice skirts don't need to be fancy. Fabric is a slightly stretchy drapey flamenco fabric called crespon  in bordeaux, very smooth and heavy drape. I haven't got quite enough  so there will be some added design elements with a a bit of grey lace I found in the back of the woodshed! ( I thought I had plenty but on unfolding it I realised I had borrowed a bit for a paying customer!) I'll have to put in a zipper and a waistband finish of some sort rather than the comfy jersey skirts we usually wear that have very deep fold over yoga waistbands.

Lyn-J

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 15:00:51 PM »
Well I do have some black lycra for leggings, so that's a start. I'll use these for yoga.
Does coating count, I'll wear it when I'm going out for a walk   -<

Starryfish

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 16:36:37 PM »
I've ordered some french terry for a sweatshirt top, I'll wear it for our walking group when we're allowed again.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 17:37:51 PM »
Oh I've got some swimsuit fabric but that might be pushing it a bit much - two things in one month, I'll see how I get along with the skirt first.