The Sewing Place

"Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021

Morzel

Re: "Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »
So I started my jogging routine today  :dance: (I need to get into it step by step) and decided that leggings are the better choice over joggers. So I purchased a Jalie pattern. Still need suitable fabric. I also found that I need something to wear over a tshirt on top. I used one of my cotton sweaters, but those are all hoodie style with straps dangling at the front. So there's a sweatshirt/jacket that need to be done also.
Now I just need to get rid of the christmas tree these next few days to get back my sewing space!
Eva

Catllar

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 08:36:33 AM »
I finished my skirt apart from the hem which needs time to drop so I'm going in for the swimsuit. needs printing of a PDF first though.  Do I put the finished stuff on at the end when they are both done and photographed ? 
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Morzel

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 09:29:26 AM »
@Catllar Great to hear you've been busy... already the second project in progress! Which swimsuit pattern are you using?

As the machines are not yet back on the table (it´s either them or the christmas tree - but that's going out today) I prepared a pattern for a colourblock sweater I want to put on when running. I got several small cuts of sweater fabric, left overs from projects. I am starting slowly, just two fabrics. Not sure if my assumptions on where seam lines meet up on different pattern pieces are correct... I also ordered fabric for leggings, the pattern I bought last week (Jalie).
As soon as the tree is out I will take out my machines and start sewing. Looking forward to it!
Eva

Catllar

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2021, 10:38:06 AM »
@Morzel  I like Jalie patterns for dance wear!

The pattern I've got is First Crush Swimsuit, but in my head I remember another one from somewhere which I like too, but sod's law, can't remember or find it. Should have bookmarked it when I saw it.  More info when I've had another search!

Morzel

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 11:08:45 AM »
I made the Jalie swimsuit about 2 years ago - I was afraid to work with the swimsuit lycra and the special elastic at the legs and neckline, but it worked out just fine and I have used it ever since (not so much since March, though... :laughing:)
Eva

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2021, 17:14:30 PM »
COuldn't find the pattern I was looking for so printed out and cut and taped this afternoon. RED First Crush.  Was thinking there wouldn't be many sheets but it is a worry when there are 80 tiles  for a swimsuit pattern! :scream:

Puzzler

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2021, 17:29:33 PM »
Was thinking there wouldn't be many sheets but it is a worry when there are 80 tiles  for a swimsuit pattern! :scream:

:o Why are there 80 tiles?

sewmuchmore

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2021, 18:21:24 PM »
My main exercise is walking the dogs every day so would a new coat be ok?. I have the Style Arc Casey coat and this   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  softshell fabric on my pile of stuff to make before spring. This will spur me on the get it done.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Fabric Lover

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2021, 23:21:02 PM »
My main exercise is walking the dogs every day so would a new coat be ok?. I have the Style Arc Casey coat and this   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  softshell fabric on my pile of stuff to make before spring. This will spur me on the get it done.
I have a similar question- my current exercise is walking with DH, and as I’m always complaining about my legs being cold, I’ve decided to make a pair of corduroy trousers. These are going to be wider legs than I usually go for- DH’s theory is not to have narrow trousers in cold weather so that warmer air is trapped within, these are meant to test his theory!  :D Will these be allowed?  I know next month’s challenge is trousers or jeans but we’re expecting to move from Berkshire to Cheshire then so I doubt that I’ll have time to sew!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 09:13:34 AM »
@Fabric Lover , if the primary purpose of the trousers is related to walking then that's fine, go for it.

dyedinthewool

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
I'll be making something that fits this category, but as it's a test-sew and I don't know when the final pattern release will be, I'm not sure I'll be able to share progress. It's the thought that counts, right?!  :D

Puzzler

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
I received my fabric for the yoga pants yesterday from Frumble Fabrics. Very nice 2-way stretch fabric with good recovery and not too thin/heavy. It's intended for leggings. I ordered too much so might end up making the yoga pants as well as leggings. I'm also fed up with black so bought navy blue. Next step is tracing my pattern and making any necessary adjustments to that. I like the way Style Arc has a notch in the trouser patterns that indicates the knee. I have shorten the pattern at this point for my stubby legs.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2021, 11:47:50 AM »
@SewRuthieSews Err, would a suit for walking the dog be ok?  That's a suit for the dog though, not for me...

No worries if it's not appropriate  :)

SingingSinger

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2021, 13:12:34 PM »
I've finished my swimming bag, not that I'll be able to use it for a while with the pools closed! I'll take some photos later. :)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

SingingSinger

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2021, 18:12:56 PM »
User Name and Entry Number SingingSinger entry #1

What is it and for whom Drawstring backpack for my swimming kit - for me!

Fabric and Pattern/instructions used

Fabric is from my stash: the outside is a ‘Liberty’ stretch denim sourced from the Birmingham Rag Market ages ago, the main lining is a blue Batik fishes print (also from Birmingham from the Fancy Silk Store), the pocket linings and piping are quilting cottons from my dark siding stash.

Pattern is a free pdf download from the Daily Sew Super Deluxe  Drawstring Backpack

A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.

The pdf pattern was very simple to assemble, only 6 sheets, which was very easy to line up. The main fabric and lining were cut from this pattern piece. The remaining parts (pockets, straps, piping) were a matter of cutting rectangles to size. Using denim meant that an interfacing was not required, which suited me fine.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

It was actually quite fun to put together and a good opportunity to test out my new machine. Attaching the piping was a new skill to me but I think it looks OK. The hardest bit was working out how the straps cross over inside the bag to create the drawstring. Sorry I didn’t take any progress shots as it was a fairly quick make and I was keen to get onto the next step each time!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:52:06 AM by Iminei »
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)