The Sewing Place

"Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021

mudcat

Re: "Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2021, 20:18:39 PM »
@SingingSinger how useful and I like the :fish: inside.

Catllar

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2021, 22:41:50 PM »
:o Why are there 80 tiles?

First there are all sizes from XXS to XXL so that add lines. There's also  pieces for a side ruched suit and a plain suit. Then there's a ruched skirt piece that goes over short or brief bottoms. As I hadn't a clear plan I printed it all off!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Morzel

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 15:23:39 PM »
I finished my outfit. The sweatshirt is made from leftovers of other projects. The fabric for the leggings I ordered two weeks ago - never worked with athletic fabric before.

The sweater turned out like I hoped it would - as I only had short fabric pieces, I did a colour block one. I traced a full front and back pattern piece to determine the cuts. I had to think about the sleeves, so the lines would match up when standing. The pattern is my self drafted TNT sweater pattern.
The leggings are new to me - I used the Jalie Clara pattern. It is a simple pattern with no design lines, no outer side seam, no CF seam. But it has a gusset and the crotch seam/inner side seam sits a bit to the front, so no chafing at the thigh. Very smart drafting. There are two option: either you cut the leggings up to the waist, or you cut a separate waistband. I used the second option but wouldn't do so again: the inner and outer waistbandseam meets up with the back crotch seam and creates a thick spot at the back which somehow seems to pull at my underpants when in motion...  :scream:  also, I need to take out length above the knee, I hope it will have a snug fit there then.

All in all I am good to go out jogging in this!

Catllar

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2021, 20:17:42 PM »
So the swimsuit is fighting back with a vengeance. Have learned that unpicking lightening stitch is hard and that unpicking triple zigzag is impossible. It is getting there though.

Catllar

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2021, 17:53:02 PM »
I should have kept quiet - today I had some sort of infinity suit  and after hours of trying to turn it inside out  or anything come to that realised the best way forward is to go my own way. I spent a happy couple of hours unpicking another seam of lightening stitch  :S  then realised I had sewn a bit of lining to the wrong piece - my fault for having lining in the same colour as one of the main bits.  Have to keep walking away.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2021, 19:29:05 PM »
Bodgitandscarper's entry.
A cover for my keep-fit accessory - aka a new suit for Poppy Dog  0_0

I more or less managed to make a pattern from one of her bought suits, it wasn't easy trying to make a dog-body shape thing into flat pieces.
It was almost right, just need a bit of fitting around the tail end - where I decided it was best to use safety pins rather than ordinary pins.

The fabric is snow leopard printed fleece.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 19:31:08 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Tamnymore

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2021, 20:01:12 PM »
Awww @Bodgeitandscarper great outfit and LOVELY doggo. She looks very patient as in 'Mum likes to dress me up so I suppose I'd better humour her.'   :laughing:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Morzel

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2021, 14:37:10 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper I bet it was difficult to make a pattern from a RTW suit... it looks soo complicated and I would not dare to fiddle too much with fitting... and the leopard pattern is just great!!  :laughing:
Eva

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2021, 15:22:07 PM »
@Tamnymore I'm not a believer in dressing dogs up really, but it's sooo wet and muddy these suits really keep them clean - and why stick to boring plain colours  :laughing:

@Morzel It was really difficult, cos I couldn't lay it flat so some of it was pure guesswork - one bit I eventually realised couldn't be folded along a curve, it was actually the other edge and where it joined to that had to be curves, and that bit had to be cut on the bias to make it fold and then curve.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2021, 18:32:24 PM »
wow @Bodgeitandscarper ! Poppy dog looks fab.

I am planning a hoody/sweatshirt type thing but have not started yet.
who else is meaning to do something but hasn't quite got there yet?

dyedinthewool

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2021, 20:32:36 PM »
I'm on track (ha!) to finish my item tomorrow, but sadly I can't show it within the month because it's under embargo (it's a test sew). I may have time to whip up a pair of leggings if I'm lucky, so those may have to do!

Mick

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2021, 21:31:17 PM »

who else is meaning to do something but hasn't quite got there yet?

Got the inspiration, got a pattern, got some fabric.
Now all I need is the scarcest commodity of all, some time to get on with it.  :headbang:

mudcat

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2021, 10:30:53 AM »
I had intended to make SA Joni Knit Track pants and Verity knit top but I haven't yet placed my pattern printing order so by the time I get around to it the month will be gone most likely. 

Starryfish

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2021, 11:19:39 AM »
I've finished a Style Arc Verity sweatshirt but the light here is appalling. I'll wait for a brighter day to take a photo. I got the PDF of Style Arc Brooklyn bottoms in the post yesterday so I'll get on with those now.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Morzel

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2021, 13:21:12 PM »
Morzel's Entry #1

This is an outfit for myself for this years goal - jogging!

I used non-stretch cotton sweatshirt fabric for the sweater, as I need something over the tshirt in winter. The fabrics are left overs from other projects. The pattern I used is my TNT selfdrafted sweater pattern. I altered the pattern for the colour blocking details. A bit of a challenge was the continous colour blocking line in the left sleeve - but I worked out well enough.
I used functional jersey for the leggings - a new sort of fabric for me. It has about 70-80% Stretch and was much easier to work with than expected. The leggings pattern is The Jalie Clara (#3887), which has a gusset and no CF seam. The pattern is very easy to sew up with good and simple instructions. Its just three pattern pieces... You could do a bit of colourblocking with this as well!