The Sewing Place

"Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021

Catllar

Re: "Fit for Purpose" January 1-31 2021
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2021, 19:57:50 PM »
So I finished my swimsuit thing - I don't think I've ever come across such an illogical construction  - I'll get Mr C to take some pics tomorrow and then start the job of transferring them ( I tried emailing to myself, downloading and that all worked well until I tried to find the downloaded pix and they have disappeared into the ether, so I think the hardwiring transfer is the way to go.

I'll give some more details when and if I get the pix over.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2021, 16:52:29 PM »
So please bear with me, technophobe in the house!  So Catllar's 1st Entry.  Flamenco practice skirt made from self drafted pattern using end of red stretch crepe and a bit of grey balinese lace.  Panelled skirt with 6 in-seam godets. I didn't have enough red crepe so I used a remnant of balinese lace to overlay the short godets on the front. I have a grey lace top which transforms this from a practice skirt ( worn with a black scrappy top) into a performance or feria skirt.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Catllar

« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2021, 16:57:16 PM »
    Excuse rabbit in headlights - Mr C was a bit trigger happy there.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 17:00:45 PM by Catllar »

Catllar

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2021, 17:29:52 PM »
Entry No 2 from catllar. RED First Crush swimwear. Plain lycra from  tissus. com and patterned from my fiance in Figueres. Top is a mash of ruched front and plain back - should see no advantage in ruching the back nor the lining segments - just added bulk. Bottoms are boy shorts with high waist banded like the legs. Don't think this look is for me - shortens legs, so I might recut them to a normal line some time. Both lycras are different weights and have different amounts of stretch and neither had the required stretch % for the patterns so I had to go bigger. Construction was interesting as they had me put the elastics round the neck edge while the rest of the seams flow free - backwards to my thinking, I'd have lined up lining and outer and put elastic last - less fighting involved  - still, what do I know.  Both top and bottom are lined and there's a crotch extention but you'll have to take my word for that! I feel very uncomfortable in a swimsuit that's why I never go to a beach but will only swim in the privacy of my own home!    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 16:54:21 PM by Catllar »

Catllar

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2021, 17:33:31 PM »
Here's a very relaxed and confident model!  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   and this one:  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lachica

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2021, 18:44:55 PM »
That's lovely, you're brave tackling swimwear! Sounds tricky but you've got a good result. I love the flamenco skirt, the lace gadgets work very well.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

mudcat

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2021, 05:25:55 AM »
I think the tankini is great with the way the print is and how it works with the solid color.  I know I couldn't bring myself to make bathing attire last year when I really needed it but now that I have my cover stitch under control I may try in the spring.  Or not.

Puzzler

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2021, 12:44:01 PM »
Your User Name: Puzzler

What is it and for whom: A pair of yoga pants for me. I actually want to wear them to Reformer Pilates sessions if the studios every open again.

Fabric and Pattern/instructions used: Style Arc Becky Yoga Pants. I glanced at the minimal instructions provided. The fabric I used was the perfect weight: https://frumble.co.uk/products/fit-knit-sport-technical-leggings-jersey-navy

A short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc:

Rather than pinning the pattern onto the fabric, I used the weights I was gifted by my Secret Santa @Sonatine.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I've made some other Style Arc pants patterns previously and know where I need to alter. I shortened the leg at the knee. Forgot to add it back in at the hem but thankfully it wasn't needed. My non-waist is nearly the same size as my hips so I added a total of 2 inches at the waist, tapering down to nothing at the hip. I raised the waistline and add a bit more than this to the back waist seam. I added extra to the separate waistband. I also decided they were bit too flared at the hem. I wanted them straight so I measured in a bit on both the outer and inner leg seams and tapered up to nothing at the knee. This all sounds like a big faff but compared to the alterations I have to make to blouses and tops, it was a doddle.

I sewed the seams with my overlocker using regular needles. I'm thinking next time I would put stretch needles in for this type of fabric. I attached the waistband on my sewing machine and did use a stretch needle for this. When it came to the hem, I couldn't be bothered dragging out the coverstitch. I could have put in a stretch twin needle but instead I overlocked the edge, turned it up and stitched with a very narrow open zig-zag.

Sorry, folks. I have no resident photographer so this photo is awful. I thought photos of me only looked bad when my face was in it.  :scream: I put the entire blame on my iPhone, not all those lockdown indulgences!!! Here they are again modelled by the lovely Esmerelda:

Okay, not much better, but you get the idea.

These won't win any prizes but I was determined to sew something for a 2021 competition. It's my first competition on TSP. This was also my first foray into athletic wear.  DD1 runs 1/2 marathons, cycles and has hinted at me making her some gear so it was good practice.

P.S. It was also my first post embedding photos within the text rather than at the end. THAT was a faff!  :S
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 12:52:06 PM by Puzzler »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2021, 12:08:34 PM »
@Puzzer, great entry!

I've made a charcoal grey hoody, supposedly for Pilates but has already been in general wear.
It is based on the Style Arc Josie Hoody, but without the turtleneck section at the front of the hood as I thought this would choke me. I folded back the hood edge and included a drawstring, but just hemmed the lower edge on the coverhem.

Starryfish

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2021, 13:50:56 PM »
@SewRuthieSews , I've made a sweatshirt and track bottoms for walking. Should I enter them as a set or separately?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Morzel

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2021, 19:45:29 PM »
@Catllar Well done on your swimsuit! I really like the combination of the print (nice placement of pattern) and the solid fabric - it calms down the busy print. And this is only for show at home?!

@Puzzler my daughter showed me a feature on my phone last year (no iphone and yes, I am learning from my then 10year old!). It was in my settings: for a selfie, I just have to hold my hand up and it recognizes this. I combined this with a timer in the settings. So I can lean the phone on a table or shelf, step away, hold up my hand and it starts a 2second timer for a selfie!My daughter got my old phone last year and with that one you don't hold up your hand, but say 'click'). Maybe your phone got a setting like that?

@SewRuthieSews great hoodie! I would have felt the same about the neckline in the front -all the weight of the hood pulling at the front... it looks good! Any more of these, as it has proven a good sew?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 19:48:40 PM by Morzel »
Eva

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2021, 18:03:12 PM »
Hi everyone, last day of sewing for the "Fit for Purpose" contest, please post your entries on the thread by 6th February and I will set up the voting thread.

Mick

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2021, 20:07:57 PM »
Mine is finished, just need the time to take a few pictures...

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2021, 09:51:47 AM »
@SewRuthieSews , I've made a sweatshirt and track bottoms for walking. Should I enter them as a set or separately?

I would suggest a single entry @Starryfish !

Fabric Lover

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2021, 15:44:59 PM »
@Fabric Lover , if the primary purpose of the trousers is related to walking then that's fine, go for it.
Thanks for this @SewRuthieSews but after making the navy cords, I an more than happy with and so decided that I would be wearing them for far more than just for walking, amd so won’t be entering them in this competition. I may post a photo of them elsewhere though, not for a little while though as I slipped on the ice a week ago and am now nursing a broken wrist!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)