The Sewing Place

Fabric for PJs

JudyN

Fabric for PJs
« on: December 27, 2020, 20:11:02 PM »
Shock horror, after watching Celebrity Sewing Bee, my hubby fancies having a go at making his own PJ bottoms  :o I'm not sure how to find the right fabric though, as we'd rather buy online. He has a pair of Next bottoms he likes - they're thin woven 100% cotton, but soft, not crisp and shiny. They need to be light, so nothing that could be described as 'cosy'.

Does anyone know if there's a specific term I could use to hunt down suitable fabric please? Of course, if you know of a specific fabric you think might be what I'm after, that would be even better!

Flobear

Re: Fabric for PJs
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 20:42:02 PM »
Cotton lawn is mainly what I searched for when I bought my PJ fabric online. Also lighter weight men's shirting (not poplin) seems to be very suitable.

Go Mr N  :dance:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 22:15:00 PM »
Friend of mine made several pairs of PJs for herself as a starter project. She bought quilting cotton from the local shop - initially found it a bit stiff but says that after a couple of washes it softened up beautifully and is now very comfortable indeed.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 08:27:53 AM »
I too am at a loss in clothing fabrics ... I want a brushed cotton, which I have found ... but they're all tartans ... I can buy Tartan PJs for pennies (well not really) anywhere ...

What I want is something FUN! ... Space Rockets, Penguins, Retro Cowboys, Hedgehogs ... all the things the kids have .... but they dont make in adult sizes  :angry:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

JudyN

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »
Thanks all :D I'm wondering if what we're after is brushed cotton - or if that's the closest to the pjs he likes. But he'll probably either have to order samples or go to a real live shop.

He's also now thinking of making a t shirt, but without a serger I think that may be best avoided as a first project.

I know what's going to happen - give it a couple of weeks, and he'll be better than me. Which, to be fair, wouldn't be hard :laughing:

SingingSinger

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
I too am at a loss in clothing fabrics ... I want a brushed cotton, which I have found ... but they're all tartans ... I can buy Tartan PJs for pennies (well not really) anywhere ...

What I want is something FUN! ... Space Rockets, Penguins, Retro Cowboys, Hedgehogs ... all the things the kids have .... but they dont make in adult sizes  :angry:

I've been looking for brushed cotton to make some PJs. I found some on the Textile Express website I like but Croft Mills has some fun prints Brushed cottons although some like the hedgehogs, sharks and whales are now out of stock :(
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 09:55:27 AM by SingingSinger »
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 09:56:46 AM »
@Iminei have you seen these?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

charley

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 22:01:52 PM »
Cotton viscose mix is nice and soft mix for pjs, I made a pair (top and shorts) for daughter, nice and soft.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 09:14:42 AM »
Yes, Thank you @sewmuchmore  ... But theyre all a lil 'cutesy' and babiefied which is NOT what Im after  -<
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 09:23:58 AM »
Croft Mill website have brushed cotton with dinosaurs, space ships, I bought some with llamas for some PJs @Iminei .
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 11:02:36 AM »
Sadly out of stock @Silver Rose.   I do wish they’d take them off the sites when they haven’t got any. 

Sewbusy

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 11:04:00 AM »
Have you thought about buying a brushed cotton/cotton flannelette duvet set and using the fabric? Lots of different colours and some fairly decent patterns that could work well for mens pyjamas.

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2020, 11:29:42 AM »
@Ohsewsimple  that is  a shame , I like Croft Mill but it is irritating to see pictures of lovely fabrics only to scroll down and see they are out of stock.
Still learning

Flobear

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2021, 17:03:31 PM »
https://fabricgiant.com/category/Fashion%20Fabrics/Brushed%20Cotton

@Iminei there's at least one fabric here that's not cutesy and babified row 2 middle pic  ;)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 21:46:17 PM by Flobear »
  • bec likes this
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Addiscomber

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 15:24:22 PM »