The Sewing Place

Plaid Pyjama help needed

b15erk

Plaid Pyjama help needed
« on: December 28, 2020, 12:11:24 PM »
I found a really nice soft cotton plaid in the stash, which I know will be great for pyjama bottoms for OH.  Unfortunately, the plaid is quite big, and the piece only measures 1.3 mtrs.

I'm using a Simplicity pattern as a base, and did alterations last night.  However, the bit under the crotch will have to be patched - not too worried about that.  What I am bothered about is matching the plaids...

If I use a small plaid, I don't bother too much, but a large pattern will hit me in the ey when I look at it.  So, looking for the best way to pattern match please.

I'm also going to add a faux fly to these, and pockets, which are not on the pattern.  These will have to be done with contrast fabric I'm sure, as there won't be much plaid left over!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Stitchalot

Re: Plaid Pyjama help needed
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 12:18:17 PM »
I suggest you cut each piece single thickness.  Then place the cut pieces over the top of the fabric in suitable alignment, using them as the pattern to cut the second piece. I have tried cutting them double and the result is always disappointing!
Good luck!

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 12:30:23 PM »
@Stitchalot , thank you!  That's really helpful - it may mean the fabric goes further too...  I think I'll cut two more patterns pieces out to make it easier.

Forgot to add pics on my first post.

Jessie  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 12:37:48 PM »
I haven't done plaid but when I want to match a pattern, I use the notches to line up on the pattern.

Stitchalot

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 16:10:20 PM »
@Stitchalot , thank you!  That's really helpful - it may mean the fabric goes further too...  I think I'll cut two more patterns pieces out to make it easier.

I’m not sure that cutting duplicate pattern pieces will help. The idea of using the piece you have already cut is that you can align the plaid pattern all around the edge of it.

Forgot to add that this method will only help get your two fronts and backs to looking in line with each other. You will still need to think about matching on the side seams before cutting, by matching fabric at a side notch/hem etc.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 16:16:50 PM by Stitchalot »

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 16:17:27 PM »
Gottcha!  I wish I'd read this before cutting out a duplicate set...

However, I've just done a toile, and glad I did, as they look like clown pants...

OH took one look and laughed his head off!  Men... :rolleyes:

I've measured the legs of some other pyjamas, and like me, OH doesn't like wide legs, so I'll have to narrow them, and the thighs look baggy too.

All this for a pair of 'jamas!

Jessie

Stitchalot

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 16:31:55 PM »
My grandchildren all  love my PJs because I always add extra depth to the crotch to make sure they don’t ‘cut up the middle’ and are extra comfy. All of the available commercial patterns seem to be extra generous widthways and I reduce that a bit. We are used to bought ones being slim cut for fabric economy. Give me loose!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 17:32:54 PM »
I use the same method as @Stitchalot.  But as said only matches fronts or backs.  Single layer always.  And it’s easier to match if patterns have no seam allowances.  But don’t forget to add them before cutting  the fabric ;)

dolcevita

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 17:46:30 PM »
If they have an outside leg side seam, inserting a vertical line of contrast piping makes it more forgiving on matching those seams. The brighter the better to distract the eye!