The Sewing Place

Bean bag

Maughanorama

Bean bag
« on: December 28, 2020, 16:55:29 PM »
Hi all... well I have not started on the bike seat yet... baby steps and all that.
Anyway I successfully made a 2 meter bolster for the top of my sofa and a v shape pillow for the gf.. basically copied my shop bought one.. came out quite well. I still have to learn stuffing better I always seem to put in way to much.

Anyway I went off on one a bit there appoligies.
I wanna now make a bean bag and. The below link seams to be nice and simple although I will add a liner
https://projectnursery.com/2014/05/diy-kids-bean-bag-chair/
this would be for my 7 year old girl so I still have to source some suitable unicorn fabric but looks pretty sinples to me.

Does anyone have any other bean bag plans ? Just incase there's a better version out there.

Thanks all and merry xmas
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 17:05:35 PM by Maughanorama »

b15erk

Re: Bean bag
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 17:06:49 PM »
I like that Beanbag in your link @Maughanorama .  May have to investigate that one further...

Look forward to seeing yours!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Maughanorama

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 17:57:19 PM »
Also (this is where it shows im a total newbie)

What stitch would be best/strongest? Would it be better to zig zag For stretch?  Or just a short straight stitch? or both :/

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 21:04:28 PM by Maughanorama »

charley

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 21:37:18 PM »
I have made 2 beanbags for 2 of my grand children, they love them. I used a pattern from a magazine from years ago. I'm not sure when I am allowed to post photos, but I will do when allowed to, if you wish.
I used a liner - same pattern. I used furnishing/curtain type fabric for the outer, and a charity shop bed sheet for the liner. I was really pleased with the outcome.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 22:08:56 PM »
You can post pictures whenever you like - using a third party image hosting site like imgur or lunapic, or by uploading attachments if you are a subscriber.   :thumbsup: 

There are various tutorials in the Tech Tutorials section if needed.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 22:21:36 PM »

What stitch would be best/strongest? Would it be better to zig zag For stretch?  Or just a short straight stitch? or both :/

How stretchy is the fabric? 

Really, for a bean bag to support the weight of even a child it needs to be a strong, stable fabric.  If it stretches the child will sit down heavily and her bottom will bang onto the ground below!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Maughanorama

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 18:49:23 PM »
In having issues locating a suitable fabric with unicorns on it. Everything I find is too thin. Does anyone know of any thick/heavy unicorn upholstery fabric ?

Im thinking if its a bust then I may maybe use long pile fake fur? I found a cadbury purple one im sure my daughter would love.. that's if its suitable

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 19:11:04 PM by Maughanorama »

Hummingbird

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 10:09:41 AM »
Just Fabrics has some Sophie Allport unicorn in the sale at the moment, or Textile Express.
Worth paying a bit more per metre to get a good weight/strength for a beanbag.

If you're going to buy the bead filling loose then my tip for filling the inner (without covering the room with it!) is to cut off a corner of the sack of beads and put a piece of cardboard tube in the gap. Tape the bag tight to the tube and you have a ready made 'spout'.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »
How about using something like a decent weight calico (UK calico not USA calico) to make the bag which can be sewn closed once the 'beans' are inside and then make a removable cover with a zip from a fashion fabric which won't need to be as strong/durable, can be washed if necessary and changed as your daughter grows out of unicorns.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:16:55 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »
I suggest a rather smaller test version, so that you get an idea of how to put it all together. 

@Maughanorama , I really like the pattern that you have linked to, and I'll be giving it a go at some point - it will be great for the children to use in the garden.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »
I’ve made two in a very similar way.

They are fine and were well used in the days before you know what, but I found that they only looked like the photos after very careful arrangement.

Maughanorama

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 13:39:42 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions
so my plan is to make a cotton liner for the bag does this mean i can use pretty much any fabric as the cover ? 

thanks

Maughanorama

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 11:36:36 AM »
well i ordered some fabric and a few zips ,,, lets see where this goes ... i suspect a disaster but im going to try anyway! ill post pictures if its a success and hide if it fails :)

Maughanorama

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 18:12:09 PM »
Ok so completed the bag... looks ok. I seriously need topractice on adding zips though. Took me 2 attempts and still isn't right but it works and my little girl loves it

CraftyIrish

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 21:36:47 PM »
Don't forget pictures please. I have saved the link and have been waiting to see how you got on.
Stitch a long
Instagram sew_web