The Sewing Place

Skipped stitches with flower presser foot

Abi

Skipped stitches with flower presser foot
« on: May 31, 2022, 13:48:49 PM »
I bought a flower foot but my machine skips stitches really badly when using it. If I take it off and sew the same stitch using regular foot it sews fine so it must be an issue with the flower foot, has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it??

Diane

Re: Skipped stitches with flower presser foot
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 16:19:34 PM »
@Abi Have you tried changing the needle?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Abi

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 17:15:41 PM »
@Abi Have you tried changing the needle?
Yes I have Diane, I had to as have a had 3 break

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 19:23:28 PM »
I had to look up what the Flower Presser Foot was. It looks cool. Given it is turning the fabric, have you got the feed dogs down, also it might work better if you use smallish pieces of fabric, use a sturdy needle and not go too fast.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 20:12:58 PM »
I had one of these years ago, I remember it being a bit temperamental. I think I got it working well when I realised the fabric needed stabiliser. I used machine embroidery thread which is finer & more slippery than sewing thread, used the same in the bobbin (this was before I had an embroidery machine so I'd not heard of bobbinfil). Reduce the top tension & try with a #70 needle. I remember using an embroidery hoop to keep the fabric from bunching up.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Abi

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 21:38:56 PM »
I had to look up what the Flower Presser Foot was. It looks cool. Given it is turning the fabric, have you got the feed dogs down, also it might work better if you use smallish pieces of fabric, use a sturdy needle and not go too fast.
Yes I have the feed dogs down. It’s so frustrating as from videos I’ve seen it looks like a really cool foot! I just can’t understand why it doesn’t work. The top thread just isn’t catching the bobbin thread consistently, but when I put regular foot back on everything works fine

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2022, 22:40:19 PM »
Is it a flower foot deigned specifically for your machine or some generic make?

Abi

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 22:49:44 PM »
Is it a flower foot deigned specifically for your machine or some generic make?
It’s just a generic one, my machine is a Pfaff 1475, bit of a golden oldie but I love it

Abi

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2022, 22:51:29 PM »
I had one of these years ago, I remember it being a bit temperamental. I think I got it working well when I realised the fabric needed stabiliser. I used machine embroidery thread which is finer & more slippery than sewing thread, used the same in the bobbin (this was before I had an embroidery machine so I'd not heard of bobbinfil). Reduce the top tension & try with a #70 needle. I remember using an embroidery hoop to keep the fabric from bunching up.
I’m using stabiliser but will try the embroidery thread, thanks for the suggestion

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 22:55:47 PM »
Ah that might be the problem.  Generic feet often  don’t work as well as dedicated ones.  I’ve not used a flower foot myself so maybe try @Lachica 's ideas.  Definitely use stabiliser. 
Hope you get it working but be careful with it.  If you have needles keep breaking you could put the timing out.  Lovely machine! :)