The Sewing Place

New Desk Lamp

Sandra

New Desk Lamp
« on: December 29, 2020, 09:58:42 AM »
I've always been short-sighted and I need glasses to see distance clearly. My reading/sewing vision has always been pretty good but I've noticed this is changing now.  :(

My eyes aren't as good as they were and I'm finding that I'm struggling a bit in unnatural light or winter gloom so I've just ordered a PureLite lamp. It's a desk lamp with a flexible neck. I'm hoping it'll sit comfortably on my sewing table.
The model is Quad Spectrum CFPL17.

It has four settings, warm, natural, daylight or cool.
I have a bit of money in Paypal so I've bought it off Ebay. As it happens, it only has to get to me from a seller in Walsall. (Down the road from me).
Unusually, it was (I think) the cheapest one I found online at just a smidge under £40.

I did a quick search of reviews and it looks to be a good choice. I'll come back and let you know what I think of it when I've tried it out.

Sandra.
xxx

Gernella

Re: New Desk Lamp
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 10:12:16 AM »
Best move you will ever make @Sandra mine is a bit bigger than yours but it is fabulous, you think you have good light but when you turn them you see the difference is massive.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 11:12:39 AM »
I have one of those over my workbench and sewing machine.  I love it.  I bought it because my mum had a floor standing one that she was over the moon with and she can move it around if needed. 

I also bought one of these for over my ironing board
https://daylightcompany.com/product/duolamp-with-clamp/

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 12:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback so far. Sounds promising.  :)

I have some spotlights over my ironing board. It's tucked away behind some storage shelves so doesn't get very good natural light.
The spotlights came from Ikea and they've been brilliant. In fact, I drag my sewing chair across and hand sew hems sat at the ironing board if the light is too bad.

Sandra.
xxx

Flobear

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 17:54:07 PM »
I'm sitting here using the light of my lamp, @Sandra which is the twin of yours. Have only had it a few weeks but it gets ported about here and there for all sorts of purposes. I even used it as a bedside lamp on a low setting and gentle light one night when I had to decamp to the living room because Pepper dog was playing up in the night.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 14:12:43 PM »
Lamp arrived yesterday afternoon and I've used it this morning to hand hem four pairs of trousers.

First impressions are very good. It's a smart looking thing and I feel that it's money well spent.  :thumb:

I have one gripe about it though.  ><
The plug.
The wires exit the plug the wrong way around...if you know what I mean. I can't plug it into the extension socket block thingy with anything else.

Sandra.
xxx
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 16:42:15 PM by Iminei »

HappyCampers

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 09:30:52 AM »
rather than start a new thread just replying to this one - having an interest in many crafts I have a couple of continuous light setups that are meant for video / photo use but so much more versatile

They are usually cheaper than "proper" artist lamps, but still pretty bright and colour corrected. Can't find the kit I got from Amazon now, but it was only about £40 for two complete with stands with bulbs - got it a bit cheaper because I had a camelcamelcamel alert and was in no rush

One caveat, the bulbs are quite fragile, be careful screwing them in and only use the body not the glass or they break . . .

This link has "soft boxes" rather than lamp heads but you get the idea
Amazon lamp kit

LED video lighting is getting cheaper and is more compact, never used it myself so don't know how robust / reliable it is
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 09:43:29 AM by HappyCampers »

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 11:15:01 AM »
I have a couple of Ottlites and they are very good, but I have to say, the thing that has made the most difference, is changing the SM bulb for an LED.

The bulb went poof the other day, and I set OH to work tracking down an LED to fit the Pfaff.  I've ordered several which have not fitted, so I passed the job over.  Well done OH!  He got it right, and the light is sooooo much better!

Glad to hear you can now see what you are doing @Sandra !

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewCanDad

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 12:52:28 PM »
@Sandra how's the light going? Still happy with it? Tired eyes here also so I've been in the process of swapping lights out this year.

Sandra

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 15:36:36 PM »
@SewCanDad  Yes. Still good thanks.  :thumb: I'd really struggle without it.

I've always been short-sighted but now I'm losing a bit of close-up vision and this helps. Must get to the opticians soon. I'm overdue an eye test.

Sandra.
xxx

SewCanDad

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 19:19:16 PM »
@SewCanDad  Yes. Still good thanks.  :thumb: I'd really struggle without it.

I've always been short-sighted but now I'm losing a bit of close-up vision and this helps. Must get to the opticians soon. I'm overdue an eye test.

Sandra.
xxx

I feel ya, I've been telling myself for the last decade to get to the opticians but nope ... that's just admitting I'm getting auld and I can't admit that out loud  :laughing: been trying new lights the last year or so now but I know that the day for the eye test is just around the corner.