The Sewing Place

Ploshkin - Weaving Along

Ploshkin

Re: Ploshkin - Weaving Along
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2021, 10:20:01 AM »
I've had a play with another short warp - just leftovers from knitting again but I had 2 balls of each.  The blue is a wool / acrylic and the pink is cotton / merino.  The warp is alternating 2 blue, 2 pink all the way across.
I tried several weft variations
From the bottom 1st - all blue weft, 2nd all pink weft, 3rd alternating 2 rows blue and 2 rows pink.  It's really intersting to see how the colours interact differently depending on what is used where.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I continued with the same warp.  The bottom bit is alternating 1 row blue, 1 row pink weft.  The top bit is all blue weft interspersed with 4 rows of white cotton perle

What did I learn?
How to weave in the weft ends when I started / finished a new colour or length of weft. 
How to hemstitch the ends to keep the weaving from coming out at the start and finish of the piece (you can just see the hemstitch in the first pic)
Any colour theory I may have used previously for quilting etc goes out of the window.  It's a whole different ball game.
Don't use Drops Cotton / Merino for a warp - I could see it had potential for shredding on a longer warp.
It's not easy to get tidy selvedges when using more than one colour.
I need a weaving stool.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2021, 10:35:37 AM »
I like the top third ... almost like stars!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Silver Rose

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 11:16:31 AM »
This is all very intriguing and fascinating @Ploshkin. Can I find room for a small loom?   :thinking: I would love to have a go. Note to self - research looms on tinternet.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 11:25:37 AM »
@Iminei it comes out like a houndstooth check

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 11:29:46 AM »
It's a rabbit hole @Silver Rose Get yourself down it, we'll see you next week!   :)

Efemera

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 12:56:10 PM »
Looks very technical...I’ve only done about 6”

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 19:10:23 PM »
Which make of loom have you got @Ploshkin
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 22:11:07 PM »
@Lowena  it's an Ashford 10" Sampleit.

Celia

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »
I am so pleased to see your weaving @Ploshkin and glad you seem to be enjoying it.  What’s your first project going to b?

Celia

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 14:34:16 PM »
Here is my latest project, it is just a scarf in wool/alpaca mix DK really like the way it’s come out, I needed to do something simple but effective

Ploshkin

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 14:34:27 PM »
Ooh, not sure yet @Celia .  i do have a couple of things in mind but they will have to wait for my bigger loom as I only 8 1/2" weaving width from the 10" loom.  I have 10 balls of a linen / cotton / viscose yarn that I bought to knit a sweater but I think it will weave very nicely.
When I've run out of leftovers I  will probably get some yarn and do a scarf so that I've done some 'proper' weaving.
I'm having great fun and am so pleased that I decided not to wait until I have space for a bigger loom.  :)

Just seen your post.  That's lovely and very striking.  I like a wool / alpaca mix.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 14:36:19 PM by Ploshkin »

Celia

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 14:36:53 PM »
Opps should have put my photo on the other thread sorry to steal yours @Ploshkin.  You can make good scarves on a 10 inch loom and you can learn sooo much

Ploshkin

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 10:28:43 AM »
I've had enough of playing now - this is my last bit.  Apologies for the appalling light.
Still with the pink & blue a bit of simple plaid.  There isn't enough contrast with the pink & grey for the narrow grey lines to show up where they cross the pink but the principle works just fine.  Still struggling with getting neat edges but as I went on it became more automatic to twist the two main colours consistently (though I'm good at forgetting)

I finished off with a bit of waffle weave - I'm going to try a waffle weave scarf.  I've said it now so no going back  ;)
I can see that I managed to get an extra row in at the beginning.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 10:31:07 AM by Ploshkin »

Ploshkin

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 13:34:09 PM »
I'm ready to put another warp on - this time for real.  This is the lovely Malabrigio Sock yarn I got - it is so soft.  The warp will be the plain colour - it probably looks a bit bluer in the picture, it is a minty green.  Watch this space, I may be gone for some time!

Ploshkin

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »
I put a 90" warp on my loom and have been weaving away.  It seemed to start very slowly but as I have got into the rhythm it seems to be coming on surprisingly quickly, I've done about 50".  I'm happy with the way it is going, I'm finding the warp a bit stretchy (but I don't really know what's normal!) so I increase the tension from time to time, it seems to be working ok.  In the skein there's quite a contrast between the green and the darker variegated blue yarn but woven together the green blends in much more than I would have thought.  Anyone would think I had planned it  :)  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]