The Sewing Place

Ploshkin - Weaving Along

Ellabella

Re: Ploshkin - Weaving Along
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2021, 21:35:37 PM »
That’s lovely and very accomplished for a first attempt. You must be a natural.

Lilian

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2021, 22:42:03 PM »
Wow! @Ploshkin that's gorgeous  :loveit: Another hobby to add to the rest. 
Willing but not always able :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2021, 10:15:36 AM »
This really needs viewing in a darkened room, it wouldn't win any prizes but it's all part of the learning curve.  It's just a short length to try out a different weave pattern and I've stitched the sides together and put a strip of narrow velcro round the top so that I can put my specs in it when I chuck them into my bag.  I used 50/50 bamboo/cotton dk weight.   It's a bit of a slippery customer.  I found it hard to keep the width consistent on a narrow piece.  I don't think I helped by adding some extra warp threads on each side after I had started and unwove because it was coming out too narrow.  The outside warp threads got a bit floppy as I went along and it was hard not to get wavy edges.  I am happy with the consistency of the weaving though.  One thing I have learned is whatever length I think I want for the warp, add a bit on.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:18:25 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:31 AM »
Have only just seen this, it looks great love the colours

Ploshkin

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2021, 11:40:26 AM »
@Celia unfortunately I no longer have room for even the small loom as we are increasingly compressed into 2 rooms.  All the light fittings and bathroom stuff I have ordered is piled up on the table where my loom was.  All only temporary and I'm looking forward to getting going properly.

Efemera

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2021, 12:35:54 PM »
I’ve not ‘loomed’ for a while....

Celia

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2021, 13:10:52 PM »
No I’m not looming either at the moment but will get back to it soon I am sure.

annieeg

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2021, 11:30:18 AM »
@Ploshkin   I read through this whole thread with interest and am very tempted to try weaving.   Do you or anyone else have a suggestion for a beginner weaving kit?

Ploshkin

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2021, 11:42:31 AM »
@annieeg  the only kit I've seen is one with the 16"
Ashford Sampleit loom

The 'extras' it has are a bag, a couple of additional reeds, a book and a couple of balls of yarn.
TBH the loom alone that I bought (the smaller Sampleit) was all I needed apart from some yarn and I had plenty of knitting bits.  The little booklet  with it was very good with full instructions for putting together, warping the loom and several different weaves.  I didn't need any extras.

ETA Ashford have several good tutorials on their website / You Tube
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:46:54 AM by Ploshkin »

Ploshkin

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2021, 16:07:26 PM »
I have finally got a warp on my new loom (a 20" Schacht Flip Loom). 
The yarn is King Cole Splash DK which is acrylic.  It's a bit hairy and sticky  and when I was threading the heddle it went all static and was floating about and sticking to itself.  So, not a good choice of yarn but I couldn't find anything else in the colours that I specifically wanted.  All will be revealed when the thing I am weaving it for is finished.

I did get a couple of balls of plain  orange and yellow with the intention of putting in some random bits of clasped weft (Celia will know what I mean) but I really like the way the yarn is weaving and don't think I would add anything by adding anything.  I have just realised as I need to wind a second shuttle that to get the continuity in the colour changes I need to wind the yarn off the ball first onto something else then wind it on to the shuttle.

Here is where I am so far.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Celia

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2021, 17:04:32 PM »
Fantastic are you enjoying the stand I am still very tempted, I don’t like leaning against a table all the time.  Looking forward to seeing the item

Ploshkin

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2021, 17:59:42 PM »
@Celia it's very comfortable sitting at the stand with the loom slightly angled.  I can sit on a standard height dining chair and tuck my knees under the loom.  One advantage is that I can turn it around to get the best light.  Disadvantage is that it's relatively light weight so will move when you beat but I keep my feet on the cross bar to stop that.  I may find some rubber feet for it as I'm always going to be using  it on a laminate floor - that's all we have.  Alternatively, I could find a square of something non slip to stand it on.
I think I'm glad that I didn't go for a 24",  weaving doesn't involve any stretching from side to side, I think it might have done with a bigger one.

Celia

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2021, 09:39:41 AM »
Thank you @Ploshkin that is the sort of information I need, my problem is having things leaning against my stomach, this is the main reason I thought of the stand, the downside is the extra space to leave the stand and also the silly price they charge.

The other thing on my wish list is a full size Inkle loom, him in doors made me 2 one small  like a sample loom size and the second larger one which was never finished and was only a prototype made in rough wood.  The small one is great but I really would like to do some longer lengths, my idea is to make some dog leads for my friends little Yorkies amongst other things of course.

Ploshkin

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2021, 10:39:43 AM »
@Celia I tried once with my small loom leaning against the table but it was awkward working so close to my body.  I used it clamped to the dining room table and got a stool so that I was sitting high enough to use it but actually I found myself standing to weave a lot of the time.
I've looked at Inkle looms several times but don't feel I would have enough use for bands so I have compromised and got a Sunna heddle which I am going to try with my small Ashford loom.  Susan Foulkes (Durham Weaver) has some excellent stuff and her videos are informative with no woffle.

Celia

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2021, 11:10:59 AM »
Thank you now I am off down another rabbit hole just going to look her up.  My Son offered to buy me an Inkle for Christmas maybe some money towards a stand might happen instead.  My whole house in carpeted except the kitchen so the stand would probably be ok.