The Sewing Place

Ploshkin - Weaving Along

Silver Rose

Re: Ploshkin - Weaving Along
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2021, 12:07:55 PM »
Lovely, such soft beautiful colours. How long did it take to put the 90" warp on? It will make a super wrap or stole.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2021, 12:18:59 PM »
The length of the warp doesn't really add to the time @Silver Rose though it did involve a lot of walking to and fro.  it's threading the ends through the slots and holes that is time consuming - there are 120 and it's only a small loom.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2021, 12:21:32 PM »
Looks very neat and lovely colours  :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2021, 09:37:38 AM »
My very first proper bit of weaving is complete!  I'm pleased with how it has come out and having wet finished it yesterday (left it to soak in hot water / wool wash for half an hour) it's now lovely and soft.  Things are supposed to shrink when they are wet finished but mine got bigger.  I did 64(ish)" weaving on the loom, when I took it off and it was no longer under tension it was 57" but after finishing it is 60".  It also got half an inch wider after finishing.  I got a fringe twister to do the fringe as I could see it being very frustrating doing 60 cords with crappy hands.  It took a while to do it anyway partly because I didn't want a green fringe and all the warp threads are green so I threaded a piece of blue into each bunch of warps to get some blue in the fringe.
I'm slightly regretting getting a 10" loom and not a 12".  It is serving the purpose for which I bought it i.e. learning to weave, but there are a couple of things I want to do that need just a bit more weaving width so will have to wait.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »
That is really lovely.   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2021, 09:54:20 AM »
Lovely, well done you. Is an upgrade in the offing? You have mastered it quickly.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2021, 10:00:58 AM »
@Silver Rose this is just a stopgap until I get my sewing room.  I have already bookmarked a 24" loom but got fed up waiting so got a small one to get started on. 

Iminei

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2021, 10:01:50 AM »
Beautiful .... Now sell on and upgrade!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2021, 10:18:52 AM »
That looks great love the texture.

DONT sell on and upgrade , I made that mistake and have ended up buying another 10 inch loom, the small one is great for sampling especially if you are going for a 24 inch eventually.  It is much more effort to warp up a bigger loom even if you do a narrower width because you have to do a longer warp, hope that makes sense.

If you do decide  to upgrade (i usually do the opposite to what I should :devil:) make sure it is a short loom maybe even a Schacht Cricket 15 inch if you want some thing different to to the Sampleit, the front and back beem on the Cricket makes for excellent warp tension.

Keep on weaving I love the company

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2021, 11:21:43 AM »
That looks very neat, love the colours.

Ploshkin

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2021, 11:34:43 AM »
Thankyou for your advice @Celia and also for inspiring and encouraging me to go for it.  I realise I inadvertently made a good choice for my first weave.  The variegated yarn and the textured weave hide any inconsistencies in the weaving though I can truthfully say that there are no mistakes in the weaving pattern - I noticed when I went wrong and was able to correct it.  I suspect Malabrigio sock yarn wasn't the best choice of warp because it is very stretchy.
I hadn't thought about the length of the loom affecting the warp tension though it's obvious really.  I've seen good reviews of the Schacht Cricket but they dont do bigger than 15" and the heddles are very pricety.  I particularly want to be able to weave fabric that i can use for making clothes which is why I'm looking at 24" though I will admit to having eyed up table looms  :ninja:

Flobear

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2021, 12:17:06 PM »
Well, you never know, @Ploshkin, you might have a buyer for your little learning loom just over the English border  :ninja:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lowena

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2021, 12:21:00 PM »
That's really lovely
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2021, 14:18:59 PM »
That’s lovely.  Colours work really well together

BriarRose