The Sewing Place

Ploshkin - Weaving Along

Celia

Re: Ploshkin - Weaving Along
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2021, 13:56:20 PM »
@Ploshkin i will not be seen anytime soon  :devil:I can’t stop reading and watching this amazing women, she is very succinct which is something I appreciate. I have just realised I have one of her books, it was a present but I didn’t have the extra bits I needed so haven’t really appreciated it.

No sewing today

Ploshkin

« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2021, 17:14:08 PM »
I have been doing some tubular weaving to go with the 'thing' I am weaving.  I found a good video of it being done on an inkle loom so I had a go on my small rigid heddle loom.  I had a few false starts but once I found the rhythm it was easy and moved along quickly.  I used 14 warp ends and fussy cut my yarn to get the coloured bits into the warp.
It worked ok with the heddle but because the warp needs to be reasonably slack the heddle kept flopping forwards but I pretty much solved it by putting the heddle in the back slots though it did occasionally flop backwards!).
Here is my tubular cord:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Life's too short for ironing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2021, 14:58:42 PM »
On my birthday last year I received a surprise package through the post.  It was a lovely fabric panel with a bumblebee on it which had winged its way from Dorset.
It had come from our very own @Iminei who undoubtedly had something quilty in mind, as did I when I received it.  I wasn't able to do anything at the time, building work preventing it, but as I had just decided I was going to learn to weave I resolved to do something weavy.  Having now got my sewing room and taken delivery of my new, larger loom I made it my inaugural weave.  I'm sure the weaving element is far from perfect (don't look too closely @Celia , the piping has several dodgy bits along its length but overall I'm happy with the outcome.  It currently has pins keeping the opening closed as I'm looking for some narrow velcro to try.  Here it is, warts and all.   

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 15:00:16 PM by Ploshkin »

Celia

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2021, 15:11:10 PM »
Well I have even zoomed in and I can’t see any warts all I can see is a lovely cushion, you should be proud of. 

What’s next?

Acorn

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2021, 15:19:33 PM »
Wow!!!   0_0   :perfect10:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Flobear

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2021, 15:56:13 PM »
Looking great, @Ploshkin  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2021, 15:40:12 PM »
@Celia I've been playing with the Sunna heddle.
It's starting to not look too bad now I have found a rhythm but I think I spent the first hour doing more unweaving than weaving, which isn't easy with a pick up pattern.
It was a bit challenging warping a floating heddle but I made a device to hold it upright.  I have fortuitously found that my small loom sits nicely on top of the Schacht with the back notches on the back cross beam and the front against the front cross beam so it means I can sit at the stand.
Here is my first attempt at its current stage - the really ropey bit is wound onto the cloth beam so you can't see it.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Celia

« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2021, 16:12:06 PM »
Wow that’s looking good, what good fortune that you can put the small one on top, I am still thinking of getting the stand it’s working out where to put it that is also my problem.

Celia

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2021, 12:18:20 PM »
I am curious do you have a plan for what to do with the bands, I love making bands but got put off by a friend who is usually very supportive saying, they are nice but what are they for ….. I answered with a belt or guitar strap etc and received a very definite sneer.  Sort off put me off but you are encouraging me again.

Lowena

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2021, 12:56:42 PM »
Whenever I make anything my husband always asks " what's it for "? "Where's it going"? or, "what will you do with that?"
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2021, 13:54:51 PM »
@Celia at the moment I'm just experimenting with the process as another string to my bow and another technique to learn on my loom.  I've also been a bit put off band weaving not knowing what I would do with them - there's only so many guitar straps one can use ( zero in my case as I don't have a guitar.  :)) Its like people who get a lathe and say they'll
 be able to make chair legs!  Thats why I got the heddle rather than buying an inkle loom that most likely wouldn't get used much.
I always like to make things that are useable or wearable and occasionally decorative for a specific location.  I'm thinking that woven bands could possibly be used on clothing and I would like to be able to weave to make garments.  Even then a bit tricky because I tend to wear quite plain garments, I'm not in to frills and frippery.

realale

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2021, 14:28:55 PM »
I am curious do you have a plan for what to do with the bands, I love making bands but got put off by a friend who is usually very supportive saying, they are nice but what are they for ….. I answered with a belt or guitar strap etc and received a very definite sneer.  Sort off put me off but you are encouraging me again.

But surely sometimes the joy is in the making and the end product is just collateral damage!!! Does it have to be 'for' anything? We watch a film for enjoyment without worrying about an end product so why not just enjoy making something?

Those braids could be for a belt or bag handles or curtain tie backs or they could be used to throttle anyone who sneers at something they can't /won't do!!  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Celia

« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2021, 16:04:22 PM »
@reelable  I love you that is something I have been trying to teach myself for years. :dance:

I love learning new techniques

Handles is a good idea though @Ploshkin

Flobear

« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2021, 16:35:41 PM »
I suppose bands like that would be too sturdy to make a door hanging thingy for the summer when you want to deter beasties from flying in through an open door.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Deafoldbat

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2021, 19:03:53 PM »
Whenever I make anything my husband always asks " what's it for "? "Where's it going"? or, "what will you do with that?"

@Lowena At which point you smile sweetly and say you're going to wrap it round his neck* in a minute... :devil:

*or stuff it in an orifice?  ;)