The Sewing Place

Help to make Bag for my new loom

Celia

Help to make Bag for my new loom
« on: December 30, 2020, 10:44:34 AM »
I was looking at websites yesterday as one does and saw this bag for my loom, it is £65.00  :faints:

I am thinking I could make one, I am not sure if I have the right material but will look later through my stash if not I might have to BUY some ?????

My plea for help is what sort of interfacing could I use and should I put a zip or does anyone have any other ideas for closing, not sure if the original has a zip or not. 

Any other tips would be good
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:54:31 AM by Celia »

BrendaP

Re: Help to make Bag for my new loom
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »
I think it depends on how easy it is to move the loom around.  If you think it will be easy to pick up and just drop down into a bag and be able to lift it out again all you need is a basic tote bag.  If you think that could be difficult then use two zips so that the front will flap forwards.

Info about the different bag interfacings here.

A layer of stiff card or plastic at the bottom will hepl keep the shape of the bag.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 14:16:46 PM »
@BrendaP thank you for the info, the loom is only a 10 inch one so I think a largish tote bag might work well

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 16:36:27 PM »
It could probably do with a pocket (exterior?) To hold shuttles and things.
I made my knitting bag without a pocket and I'm always fishing in the bottom for something.
Life's too short for ironing.

RJR_38

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 21:34:37 PM »
A simple tote will work best - that way you can make it any size you like to fit your loom.

For closure you could add a tab that folds across and buttons up or a zip - it depends if it needs to close completely to keep dust off or just needs to close enough to keep the loom secure. I would definitely add a pocket or two - you will always find bits to fill them!

BriarRose

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 04:05:29 AM »
You could weave a bag for it. My first weaving was a bag for my combs, sacking needles, and shuttles. I still use it.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 09:15:48 AM »
I’ll have to make a bloody big bag! :laughing:

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 14:12:54 PM »
A tote with a couple of snaps on top could also work.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Celia

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 14:33:55 PM »
I have planned out the size I think, I might avoid the zip as it can make it difficult to get things on and out but I like the idea of a flap and maybe snaps.  I will remember to put pockets in.
@BriarRose i did think about weaving a bag but  :thinking: :thinking:
I like the idea of weaving a smaller bag for heddles etc.