The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long UFO challenge - 01.01.2021 - 31.12.2021

SewRuthieSews

The Sewing Place’s year-long UFO challenge - 01.01.2021 - 31.12.2021

Welcome to 2021, this challenge is to complete your UFOs (Un Finished Objects), mending and alterations.
Either so you can wear/use the items as planned or donate them on to someone/somewhere else.

If you can please share a photo of the item before and after you completed the work.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:11:19 AM by Iminei »

Pearl

Re: The Sewing Place’s year-long UFO challenge - 01.01.2021 - 31.12.2021
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 11:01:36 AM »
So, for the third year running, I'm in. 

1. Jan Hassard's Spirals - Now has borders.  Waiting to be sandwiched and quilted (by the elves).
2. TSP Mystery Quilt - waiting to be sandwiched.
3. 4 patch chain quilt - begun at a BOM class.  This one had sat in a box for two years but, during the first lockdown, it was resurrected.  It needs to be assembled, a pieced border, two straight borders.
4.  Curved bargello - ready to be sandwiched.
5.  Q4CL quilt - Have started to quilt this one!
6.  TSP temperature quilts - Stuck in June.

I will add before and after pics as I work on them.

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 11:11:06 AM »
I have a lot of yarn-related UFO's (knitting and crochet). Do they count, or does it have to be sewing?
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 14:29:02 PM »
My seaside quilt is sandwiched and waiting to be quilted.  I'm sure it will get done sometime before this contest ends!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 18:10:44 PM »
I have a lot of yarn-related UFO's (knitting and crochet). Do they count, or does it have to be sewing?

@Kenora , personally, I decided after the year we just had and the way the new one is starting out that any goldarn UFO'S, mending or alterations I manage to do are getting counted and maybe even shared.  ;) Even if that "mending" is gluing a loose chair leg. *

* note to self, order wood glue.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 13:16:41 PM »
Current UFOs:
Finish altering cord skirts
Finish cloth shopping bags
Finish cloth drawstring bags
Make Fibremood Etta bumbag (cut out already)
Finish space print jersey harem pants
Finish pink tunic dresses for daughters
Alter cuffs on woollen coat
Alter cobalt jeans
Alter denim skirt
Alter parrot skirt
Alter husband's trousers
Alter denim playsuit

My local sewing group are making jeans over the next few weeks so I'm not sure how much I'll get done in January, but I definitely found it useful last year to write out the UFOs as it pushed me to finish some of the oldest ones. Looking forward to seeing everyone's work.  :thumbsup:

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 19:22:39 PM »
I really cleared out my UFO's over the past couple of years, but there are still one or two which I would like to finish.

First up is a shawl collar blouse, but I have a feeling that the fabric was the bugbear, and if I remember rightly, it may well have to be abandoned.

Second is a cotton shirt dress I started ages ago.  The sticking point here I think, was the fact that I needed sleeves in it.  I'll give it a coat of looking at, and see how I go.

Nothing else springs to mind, and it would be lovely to have a clean sheet - and no more UFO's!! :laughing: :dance:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 09:53:22 AM »
I have a UFO started quite a few years ago now.
It is an olive green wool jacket in a sort of Safari style, with lots of pockets and a belt. I decided I needed to line it, which meant working out what to do to draft the lining which at the time seemed too hard. I could probably manage to do it now.
However its a size too small so not entirely sure what I'd do with it once finished. Hmm maybe a bit of try on would be a good idea, I have got some scraps left so could add panels.....

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »
Current UFOs:
Alter cobalt jeans
Alter denim skirt
Alter parrot skirt
Alter husband's trousers
Alter denim playsuit

One down! Harem pants using the same template as last year's UFO sewalong. The fabric was cut but not yet sewn at the turn of the year.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

mudcat

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 23:04:01 PM »
I might try to finish these UFOs. Most of these were in the 2019 UFO thread too.  :facepalm:

Kochi Kimono in lizard print: needs band attached and hemming

Black Print SW eDress: cut out months ago so I just need to sew it up

SW Kinenbi Top: cut out 15+ years ago but I no longer like the oversized.  I love the fabric so I need to make it into something else ... I'm thinking SA Jules top

Lap quilt gold/purple: top complete, flannel backing purchased, needs quilting and binding

Quilt for niece #1 - needs binding (and has for at least 12 years) 

Quilt for niece #2 - partial top ... not really sure what it needs but it will take some time to complete

I think there is also a partially completed quilt top for someone who has been out of my life for many years so it will need to be repurposed into a charity quilt or something.  And possibly some other quilt related things.  In the past i had a tendency to start quilts and lose interest.  I have a lot of squares cut out too when I was trying to reduce scraps that I may just donate to one of the charity quilting groups here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 04:57:30 AM by mudcat »

Ann

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
I have 3 UFO's to finish.

• Finish sewing the binding down on a Halloween wall hanging.
  • Finish a large wall hanging that has cardinals on it -- sandwich, quilt, and bind
  • Finish a snowman wall hanging -- sandwich, quilt, and bind

I'm going to have to dig them out and do them over the course of this year. I do hate UFO's and these ones are bugging me. Time to get them done.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

cakeymcdoodle

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 12:14:06 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Two down! Altered a stretch corduroy skirt. There's two in the photo but it's because one was altered before Hogmanay. They were both two sizes too big after postnatal weight loss. I decided to take excess fabric from the front and back seams rather than the side, as there was a side zip. I took the waistband off just past halfway front and back then reattached afterwards. I wish I'd done this a few months ago cos I really love these skirts! Annoyingly I found another UFO to add to the list while working.

Current UFOs:
Alter cobalt jeans
Alter denim skirt
Alter parrot skirt
Alter husband's trousers
Alter denim playsuit
Alter stripey jeans

Morzel

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 14:41:21 PM »
@cakeymcdoodle  love your choices of prints! The corduroy skirts look lovely and I also got some of that galaxy print in stash (My daughter loves those galaxy themed jersey, but has already several tshirts from other space prints, so this is waiting for someone else).
Eva

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 09:58:52 AM »
I've just realised I have a UFO, most unusual for me as I only sew stuff I really want to wear, therefore I finish them.

This is just a camisole top I started a couple of months ago and didn't have the binding for the armholes and neckhole, so put it to one side. I just need to sew satin bias binding, and probably take a bit of the flare out of it. And hem it, don't think I did that - or did I?  I have a vague recollection of checking the length under tops, so may have done.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 11:27:15 AM »
It was already hemmed and the right amount of flarededness, so just the neck and armholes.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

The eagle-eyed amongst you may well spot that I've binded the armholes and neck differently - didn't like the neck  :laughing: