The Sewing Place

Fabric shop question

Maughanorama

Fabric shop question
« on: December 31, 2020, 20:09:01 PM »
Hi all

On my quest of finding sone fabric I came across poundfabrics.co.uk.

Has any had any dealings with this company ? I only ask as I may have to feed my new addiction

Thabks

Ellabella

Re: Fabric shop question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 20:18:23 PM »
I have used them @Maughanorama.  The fabrics were as described, cheap and cheerful.  Delivery was prompt.

I’ve found a good use for everything I’ve bought from them. 

The cheapest fabrics are sold in 3m minimum lengths but the more expensive fabrics are sold by the metre.

If you are looking for fabric to experiment with you won’t go far wrong without breaking the bank.

Maughanorama

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 21:41:07 PM »
thanks for the reply exactly what I was after

They do an upholstery box of randoms for £30

Im thinking this would be good for make the odd pillow random other things to practoce with

Also they do cotton 12 mtr roll for £30 its 137gsm is this very thin ? Sorry for the newbie question but im still trying to understand the weight with ref to thickness

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 21:44:02 PM »
I've had fabric from them. Delivery was prompt. The fabrics were as described. I think the cheapest ones might feel a bit ....cheap......but it depends what you want & what you're making. There's a FB group for pound fabrics, people on there show what they've made & give their opinions, might be worth a look.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Maughanorama

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 22:12:43 PM »
Thank you

Maughanorama

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 08:41:05 AM »
all if anyone is interested . i decided to use https://www.facebook.com/immanuelfabrics. the service from Yvonne is fantastic. the materials are cheap in cost not quality as far as i can see.
Excellent find whoever it was that mentioned them.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 09:17:39 AM »
I got some..... sent it back.

Maughanorama

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 09:38:42 AM »
i can only speak from my experience i spent over £100 pound with them so far.. no problems.

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 12:06:01 PM »
I have just received some cotton poplin ordered from poundfabrics, my first time dealing with them.  The fabric arrived promptly and is surprisingly good for the money, a little finer than other poplins but with a layer of interfacing will do the job.  As this is to make 'smarfs' with, I didn't want to spend a lot until I knew if the pattern worked.  I will post a pic later on.  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 16:41:51 PM »
They look good if you need to build up your stash..... not a problem I have (ahem!)

Immanuels are great - a long standing favourite of TSPers including yours truly. They do have some good stuff and often at incredibly cheap prices. Once they get to your order it arrives quickly. However, they are clearly struggling with their on-line ordering processes. If you see something you want you message them and wait for their response. They are so busy that this takes several days - meanwhile your fabric could have sold out. Also there is no point in messaging again as this drags your messages to the end of the queue. So you do have to be patient.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde