The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01-01-2021 to 31-12-2021

Ann

Welcome to The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge.
There are no rules or regulations. This is about you deciding how you want to stashbust, defining your own goals and cheering others on along the way.

This thread will run all year, and conclude at the end of 2021.Whether you choose to diligently stashbust along and record your numbers or just join in the thread is up to you.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:41:17 AM by Lowena »
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Ann

I am ready to start sewing. My goal is A Year of Sewing What I Have and to sew 50-75 meters of fabric mostly from the stash in 2021.

When I looked at what I have stashed, I need to sew down more of the doll's fabrics, Christmas cottons, and other craft cottons. I dug out a notebook and have jotted down a long list of items that I want to make this year. From that I made January's list of items I want to sew. I need to buy nothing this month which is great as I'm not sure when the local quilt shop will open again for in-store shopping.

I have set aside the 24-26th of each month to sew Christmas which will include gifts and the Christmas cottons. I may sew for Halloween also but it isn't on the radar for the months that have 31 days. I'm also trying to include 1 to 2 machine embroidery projects a month whether they are for Christmas or otherwise. 

My first project will use up .75 meter of fabric. It is cut out and ready to sew this afternoon.
Stash Busting 2023

MitchOfTheNorth

I'm in.  Definitely, I need to make a list or I'll forget something important.
  • Ann likes this
Stashbusting 2022
Goal:  50 meters
Total:  32.5 meters

CCL

Thanks for this Ann, I have been looking for some motivation to get going on sewing up what I have.
A hodge podge Flickr record of my sewing project albums here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/104062052@N04/albums

Morzel

@Ann what are the christmas sewing projects you work on? Always on the lookout for some great ideas...
Eva

b15erk

I'm in!  I've already cut out a toile for plaid pyjamas but still tweaking the fit... I also cut out a viscose/rayon or somesuch manmade fibre blouse - tbh, I think it's damaged my new scissors... :scream:

Not sure which side is the right side, but I'll decide later today - fabric has been in the stash since Adam was a lad, so unless there's a lable I've no hope of knowing the fabric content, or which side to use.  :thinking:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

@Ann what are the christmas sewing projects you work on? Always on the lookout for some great ideas...

@Morzel, I’m doing baskets with embroidery on them, though they don’t need to be done that way. For DD I’m doing one I’ll fill with sewing notions, some special piping I’ll make her and a few other things. Cat and dog will each get one for their treats and toys. Another could be filled with chocolate or coffee or??  Find fabric to match. I’ll post the site later on and maybe we should do a Christmas gift ideas thread too.
Stash Busting 2023

Morzel

@Ann I got one of those sewn basket gifted once, it is used by my daughter for toiletries... Good idea to reproduce.
Eva

Renegade Sewist

I'm in!  I've already cut out a toile for plaid pyjamas but still tweaking the fit... I also cut out a viscose/rayon or somesuch manmade fibre blouse - tbh, I think it's damaged my new scissors... :scream:

Not sure which side is the right side, but I'll decide later today - fabric has been in the stash since Adam was a lad, so unless there's a lable I've no hope of knowing the fabric content, or which side to use.  :thinking:

Jessie

@b15erk do a burn test to narrow down the fiber content. As for right side, look at the tenter hook holes along the selvage. They are usually slightly pushed to one side or the other. The side they protrude on is the intended right side. But, if you can't tell which is the right side easily always use the one you like. Just be consistent as sometimes the reverse side reflects light differently.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ann

Week 1 of January is done here. I used up 1 meter of fabric from the stash. I made this dress which took me a week to cut out and sew. Lots of slow work on this one.

I also had to do the cuffs on the sleeves 4 times. Twice for each sleeve. I turned in the wrong part of the sleeve placket once and then turned in both ends of the sleeve placket ends once.  :faints: I need to check twice before sewing on the cuffs.

When I finished the dress, I immediately cut out piping for DD. Enough for one shirt (a fat quarter will make just over 3 meters of piping). I was done in an hour and left the sewing room relaxed from the project.

Next up is a test pattern for an Edwardian period dress for the dolls. Fabrics are chosen and the pattern is printed so I hope to start this tomorrow afternoon.
Stash Busting 2023

BriarRose

Went through my stash this week to reorganize and rethink what I have. I used about a yard and a third of green velvet to cover a board on which I display my necklace collection. Also bagged up about 23 yards of fabric to give to the daughter of one of the local firemen. She sews a lot of cool stuff on a very small budget and I'm happy to contribute. Next: jammie pants for all.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

dyedinthewool

Just like my yarn/fibre stash I don't do yardaged/meterage amounts, I just know I have a lot!

My aim is to be totally "cold sheep" this year (i.e. no fabric, yarn, or fibre purchased) unless it's for a specific project that I'll start right away. We'll see how I hold out, but I've got more than enough for pretty much any project I might want to make.

Ann

@dyedinthewool, I don't keep track of how much yarn I knit up, I know I've knit a lot and have been gifted a lot. This year I am keeping the wrapper/tag off the balls of yarn so I can estimate how many grams I've knit. I saw that on a group that is mainly crocheters. Thought it was a great idea.

We each have different ideas of what we want to do with our stash. My goal is to sew mine down as I want to have very little on hand and buy what I need. I keep track of it as I want to know how much I have bought over the last 5 years. In the past two years I've sewn nearly 150 meters of stash which makes my stash larger than I thought. This year my focus is sewing what I have on hand and make very few purchases. I know I will buy fabric for certain projects but my goal it to keep those purchases to a minimum. I will track how many meters I buy and what I do buy must be sewn immediately.

Good luck on going "cold sheep". I'm trying to do this as much as possible also.
Stash Busting 2023

b15erk

Add another couple of metres to my stash usage!!  :dance:

Just made another blouse!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

@b15erk, that is a beautiful blouse. I quite like it.

I am still working on the test pattern. I got the bodice ready to start on the collar. The bodice had 4 pieces plus 2 facings. What a lot of work. No pictures to post but they are coming.
Stash Busting 2023