The Sewing Place

The Sewing Place’s year-long stash-busting challenge - 01-01-2021 to 31-12-2021

dyedinthewool

It's only a small amount used, but I've made 3 pairs of knickers with all fabric and elastic from stash. Photos in this blog post.

Not sure how much yardage they used up but those panelled ones could end up getting rather fun and funky as I have smaller and smaller amounts of fabric left!

Renegade Sewist

I gave away two medium-sized trash bags of new quilt fabric. Not that virtuous though. I was given 7 huge bags primarily to give to my neighbor by a quilty friend back in I think August or September. This was the last of it. I kept a few pieces  to add to what I previously kept. I need to sort through again, see what works together and with fabric I have then give her most of the rest. Next month.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ann

Mid month and I've sewn 1.8 meters of fabric (2 doll dresses and a length of piping). The second doll dress is done and I'm happy with it.

Next on the list is a wall hanging which takes .35 meter of fabric. It has been sitting on the stash shelf for months now and needs to be done. Then a purse and a basket. If any time is left in the month, I will do more piping for DD.

I've started to plan out next month's list and need to look at what I have on hand to make the items I have listed. I know one project will need buttons.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

b15erk

@Ann , that dress is so pretty!

I've managed to use another couple of metres from the stash - not great quality I have to say, but still fabric.  I've also nearly cut out a sweater, which will add another couple of metres. 

Still not made an appreciable difference, but it has to start showing soon... :rolleyes:

Jessie

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

@b15erk that is a nice top you made.

I started on project #4 and have to pick the embroidery out of one flower as I used the wrong thread  :scream:  . I am hoping I can salvage it as it means buying more fabric and maybe one spool of thread. :headbang:

While rooting in the stash, I see I have more cottons that I had thought I had  :facepalm: and will have to step up to plate to get it sewn down. While looking for my purse fabric, I found bias strips cut out to make DD more piping. Put it on the table to be sewn, maybe half this month and half in another month as there is a lot of strips.
Stash Busting 2023

Lachica

Wow @Ann that doll dress is beautiful. It looks very fiddly. You have a lot more patience than I!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ann

@Lachica, thank you very much.

I'm having less luck with the project I'm on now. Picked up sewing thread to embroider a flower and am having to rip it all out. Hoping I haven't done anything wrong or I will have to buy a piece of fabric to replace it as it is all I have. I will pick at it carefully again today.
Stash Busting 2023

Ann

I finished the wall hanging yesterday. Took me 2 hours to pick out the one flower but I was able to salvage the project. Happy to have this one done.

Next up is a bag for me. I got the pattern for Christmas, have had the fabric for almost 4 years so it is time to use it up. So far, I've only used fabrics from the stash. I'm quite proud of myself for doing that.
Stash Busting 2023

b15erk

@Ann , that is beautiful!  Love those colours together.

Jessie
  • Ann likes this
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ann

@b15erk, thank you very much. The next one I make I'd like to do pastel colored tulips as a gift for DD's sewing room. But I am waiting until I need go for fabric at the quilt shop. Right now I'm trying to use up what I have in the stash.
Stash Busting 2023

Morzel

@Ann, that doll dress is really beautiful. Such a nice design, and you really chose your fabric well for it to show.  :thumbsup:
Eva

Ann

@Morzel, thank you. It took me quite a while to choose the red fabric and then it took a while to find it. I have a lot of fabric in the doll's stash and it got put into the wrong area. I need a day to sort it all out again.

I'm ready to start the bag today. I want to trace the pattern pieces onto pellon and save the original pattern. That will take me one afternoon to do. But I'm ready.

Yesterday I made more piping for DD. Pink fairy frost fabric she sent me over a year ago. It was a larger piece so I only made half of it for her. The rest will get done later.

I make piping as it is easy and relaxing. When I have a lazy afternoon, I will cut the strips for the next batch and then I sew them when I need a break from regular sewing.
Stash Busting 2023

Morzel

@Ann do you cut the strips on bias or grain?  The piping looks thick -what does your daughter use it for? (No, not curious...  :rolleyes:) I have a Dritz tool which I really like to cut the seam allowance for the piping at exactly 1cm - this way the piping has the same SA as my garment fabric and I don't have to worry about anything.
  • Ann likes this
Eva

Ann

@Morzel, I cut the strips on the bias. The cording I use is about the same size as the cording in most packaged piping. This might be a tad thicker as it is hard to find at the moment. I also have a piping ruler that cuts the SA to 1/4" which is the same as packaged piping. It fits under yokes and button bands perfectly. DD makes western shirts that she sells and the custom piping is used on some of her shirts. I make her 3.25 - 4.0 meters when I do piping for her. It is fast and easy and relaxing to make.
Stash Busting 2023

elisep

I’m a little late to the party on this one but declaring my intention to sew 50 metres this year! Last year’s effort was derailed by COVID lockdown sucking all my creativity  :'(
Last year I also downloaded the Cora fabric stash app and spent hours photographing and cataloging my stash. So my stash currently sits at 305 metres/188 pieces... not including my silk fabrics for painting on, and a few other bits and bobs. I also recently moved house! So unpacking all that fabric has given me a renewed desire to make things from it! There’s no many pieces in there that I love.
Still a bit of stuff to unpack into my sewing room, and a quilt to make for my best friend’s baby... then looking forward to making some things for me again!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres